The British Institute in Eastern Africa (BIEA) invites applications to its 2021/22 Thematic research grants.
The BIEA seeks to support early career researchers and scholars in eastern Africa and is keen to fund small projects that lay the ground for larger projects. They invite applications for funding for original research projects in any discipline in the humanities and social sciences in eastern Africa. Projects that fall outside of these disciplinary areas are not considered. However, projects in Africa beyond eastern Africa may be considered. Eastern Africa is defined as stretching from Sudan down to Mozambique, and Zambia across to Madagascar. Applications are particularly welcome from researchers or research teams who have limited access to other sources of funds, and which engage with one or more of the following thematic areas. Priority is given to researchers based in the UK or eastern Africa.
- Citizens and science
- Urban lives
- Epidemics, pandemics, and epizootics
- Knowing environments
- Retelling the past
- Technologies of politics.
£500-£1,500 research grants
- Researchers may include postgraduate students in eastern African or the UK;
- People who have not followed conventional research careers but whose local knowledge or contacts make them well-fitted to conduct high-quality research; and
- Collaborative projects might involve more established scholars but where the resources are ring-fenced for early career or Africa-based project partners.
The form and all supporting documents (including two references) must be submitted by email to email@example.com
To get the application form, click here.
Application Deadlines: May 14, 2021.
For more information and application, visit the official site.