The Fulbright Program for Scholars – Everything you need to know!


As an African scholar, we thought it might be useful to provide all the details about the prestigious Fulbright program in one page. As you may know, the Fulbright Program is the flagship international educational exchange program sponsored by the U.S. government. It is designed to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries.


The Fulbright Program provides participants-chosen for their academic merit and leadership potential – with the opportunity to study, teach and conduct research, exchange ideas and contribute to finding solutions to shared international concerns. Grants are available for U.S. citizens to go abroad and for non-U.S. citizens with no U.S. permanent residence to come to the U.S.

The program offers opportunities for foreign faculty members and professors to conduct post-doctoral research and/or lecture in the U.S. The Fulbright Program is an important element of the United States’ bilateral relationships with countries around the world. U.S. and foreign governments jointly set priorities for the exchanges.

Note: Fulbright Program grants for U.S. and non-U.S. citizens are not for the principal purpose of attending conferences, completing doctoral dissertations, travel and consultation at multiple institutions, or clinical medical research involving patient contact.


a) Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program: The Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program provides grants to approximately 850 foreign scholars from over 100 countries to conduct post-doctoral research at U.S. institutions from an academic semester to a full academic year. Travel grants to accept guest lecturing invitations from other U.S. institutions may also be available to Fulbright Visiting Scholars already in the U.S. through the Occasional Lecturer Fund.

b) Fulbright NEXUS Program: The Fulbright Regional Network for Applied Research (NEXUS) Program brings together a network of junior scholars, professionals and mid-career applied researchers from the United States and other Western Hemisphere nations for a series of three seminar meetings and a Fulbright exchange experience.

c) Fulbright Scholar-in-Residence Program: The Fulbright Scholar-in-Residence (SIR) Program enables U.S. colleges and universities to host foreign academics to lecture on a wide range of subject fields for a semester or academic year. Preference is given to institutions developing an international agenda and/or serving a minority audience, including Historically Black Colleges and Universities, Hispanic Serving Institutions, Tribal Colleges, small liberal arts colleges, and community colleges. Approximately 50 grants are awarded annually.

d) Fulbright Vietnam Economics Teaching Program: The Fulbright Vietnam Economics Teaching Program provides funding for Vietnamese government and business officials to attend two years of study at the Fulbright School in Vietnam and acquire a Master of Arts in Public Policy or participate in a one-year program in Applied Economics.



  • In the 50 countries with a Fulbright Commission, applicants must meet citizenship requirements as defined by the binational agreement.
  • In countries where the program is administered by the U.S. Embassy, applicants must be a citizen, national, or permanent resident qualified to hold a valid passport issued by that country.
  • Applicants cannot hold citizenship in a partner country and U.S. citizenship/permanent residency.
  • See contact information on the participating country pages for specific eligibility requirements and limits on numbers of awards. Further eligibility information can also be found in the Policies of the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board.

Application Process

===> U.S. applicants (U.S. citizens) apply either through their university or college or at-large to the cooperating agency responsible for the program in which they are interested.

===> Non-U.S. applicants (non-U.S. citizens) apply to either the Fulbright Commission in their country of citizenship or the U.S. Embassy in their country of citizenship (in countries where there is not a Fulbright Commission).

Applying for the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program

The Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program is administered by the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in each country. If you are interested in applying, please contact the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your country of citizenship. See program details by countries for availability and contact information by country.


Keep in touch with for important updates on the Fulbright Program.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here