Applications are invited for the 2019 Fulbright Foreign Student Program. Formerly known as Fulbright JSD, the Fulbright Foreign Student Program is a non-degree program funded by the U.S. Department of State in Washington, D.C. and administered by the Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and the Institute of International Education (IIE) in New York.
The program is designed primarily to strengthen capacities of African universities through higher degree training and to develop the potential of their academic staff. It is targeted at young and exceptionally promising faculty members who wish to conduct their doctoral research in the United States.
- Applicants must be citizens or nationals of Nigeria, or permanent residents holding a valid passport issued by the government of Nigeria.
- Applicants must be doctoral students and have the endorsement of their home institution.
- Applicants must be at least two years into their doctoral program in any discipline.
- Applicants must have an outstanding academic record and high level of English proficiency.
- Applicants must meet a minimum score of 100 in the internet based TOEFL test.
- Applicants must have high motivation and a serious commitment to completing the program as scheduled and to returning home.
- Only applicants with strong proposals, outlining their research objectives, methodology, time-frame, and justification for conducting the research in the U.S. will be short-listed for interviews.
- Applicants in business, law and accounting should understand that most U.S. institutions rarely accept research students in these fields due to high demand for full-time programs and tuition concerns. As a consequence, we face great challenges in finding placements for such grantees unless their proposals are tilted toward economics, development-related areas, democracy, human rights and conflict resolution.
All applicants must fill out the online application forms completely and attach their supporting documents online (3 academic and professional references, Curriculum Vitae, academic transcripts from each post-secondary institution attended and writing sample.)
Deadline for submission: June 1, 2019
For more information visit the official site