The Center for Effective Global Action (CEGA) invites African researchers to apply to our 2023-2024 CEGA Fellowship Request for Applications (RFA).
The CEGA Fellowship Program equips early-career African social scientists with the skills to carry out rigorous impact evaluations of economic development programs and become champions for evidence-informed policy. Selected researchers will audit courses, develop skills in impact evaluation, access a personalized mentorship program to develop their research ideas, and build their research networks. Successful fellows will be invited to join the Network of Impact Evaluation Researchers in Africa (NIERA).
invite researchers from East and West Africa to apply for one of two opportunities:
1) A Resident fellowship during Fall 2023 or Spring 2024 in-person at the University of California, Berkeley or Northwestern University
2) A Non-Resident Fellowship, a virtual version of our flagship resident fellowship where fellows engage remotely for 12 weeks, at about 15-20 hours per week.
The CEGA Resident Fellowship program will cover;
- the costs of room and board in Berkeley,
- health insurance,
- visa fees, and
- roundtrip economy airfare for selected fellows.
fellows will be provided a monthly stipend to cover any other expenses that may occur during their stay at UC Berkeley (local transportation, personal hygiene items, etc.).
Applicants to the CEGA Fellowship Program must:
- Be a national of an East African or Anglophone West African country (Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Burundi, South Sudan, Uganda, the Gambia, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Ghana, Nigeria, Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Côte D’Ivoire, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Togo, Somalia, and Cameroon);
- Be fluent in English;
- Have completed a Master’s degree or a PhD within the last 8 years, or
- Be enrolled in a PhD program in economics, statistics, epidemiology/public health, or another social science discipline;
- Have a current affiliation with a research institution, university, or other research organization in East or West Africa, preferably one that supports policy-relevant, quantitative social science research;
- [Resident Only] Plan to return to a research institute in East or West Africa after the resident fellowship at UC Berkeley or Northwestern University.
Before entering the data into the online application form, applicants are to make sure they have all the following documents required for the application ready:
- Personal Statement
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- Research Proposal
- Evidence of Leave Approval from the applicant’s supervisor or department chair demonstrating support and certifying that, if the applicant is selected, he/she will be able to take a 4-month leave of absence.
- Name and contact information for two referees
To apply for the 2023-2024 CEGA Fellowship Program, click here.
Deadline: February 23, 2023.
For more information about the 2023-2024 CEGA Fellowship Program, visit the official site.