The International Court of Justice (ICJ) invites applications from eligible universities worldwide for the 2023-2024 Judicial Fellowship Programme (formerly known as the University Traineeship Programme).
The trust fund’s purpose is to grant fellowship awards to selected candidates who are nationals of developing countries from universities based in developing countries, thereby improving and guaranteeing the geographic and linguistic diversity of the participants in the Programme.
Trust fund awards specifically benefit candidates nominated by universities based in developing countries, which do not have the means to provide financial sponsorship.
The Judicial Fellows work on a full-time basis under the supervision of a Member of the Court and alongside the primary legal assistant of the judge. The Judicial Fellows can expect to attend the Court’s public hearings, research and write memorandums on legal questions or factual aspects of the cases pending before the Court, and perform other duties assigned by their judge. The duration of the Fellowship is approximately ten months, from early September to June of the following year.
Duration: 10 months
To apply for the International Court of Justice Judicial Fellowship Programme, the following applies:
- Universities are strongly encouraged to limit nominations to candidates who have shown excellent results in their legal studies and demonstrated an interest in public international law through their studies, publications, and/or work experience.
- The official languages of the Court are English and French, and participants must have excellent reading, writing, and oral skills in at least one of them.
- Working knowledge of the second official language is an asset.
- To be eligible, candidates should be 31 years of age or younger at the time the Fellowship begins. This requirement may be waived in special circumstances.
- In making its selection, the Court seeks candidates of diverse nationalities.
- While it is possible to nominate a single candidate, the Court encourages universities to propose more than one nominee.
Before applying for the 2023-24 Judicial Fellowship Programme of the International Court of Justice, please ensure that the nominated candidates meet all the eligibility requirements.
To apply, click here.
Deadline: February 05, 2022.
For more information on the 2023-24 Judicial Fellowship Programme of the International Court of Justice, visit the official site.