The International Mathematical Union invites applications from mathematicians professionally based in developing countries to visit an international research collaborator for a period of one month, “Abel Visiting Scholar Mathematical Program 2021-22”.
The program is designed for postdoctoral mathematicians in the early stages of their professional careers. It is designed to offer the opportunity for a ‘research sabbatical,’ a necessary complement to teaching and other academic duties for mathematicians desiring to also sustain a viable research program.
This Visiting Scholar Program is fully funded by the Abel Prize in mathematics. In case the length of the visit exceeds one month, the candidate should provide evidence of financial support from the host institution to cover the living expenses beyond the first month.
Duration: one month
The grant will cover for one month and only for the applicant up to 4,400 EUR (5,000 Dollars):
- Travel costs
- Visa fees
- Travel insurance charges
- Basic living cost
- Accommodation cost in the host country.
- hold at the time of application a Ph.D. in Mathematics,
- hold a position in a university/ research institution
- be based in a developing country at the time of application (information on “Developing Country” right below)
- be in the early stages of their professional careers, more precisely: the applicants should
- not yet be of full professorial rank but have a working contract in a university/ college
- be under 35 years of age on the day of the application deadline.
- The completed Online Application Form
- A curriculum vitae of applicant and host, including a list of recent publications (maximum of 3 pages)
- An official invitation from the institution of the international research partner
- A research plan for the visit
- A copy of the Ph.D. certificate
- One letter of recommendation
- A statement about the current employment status/ position in the home institution signed and stamped by the employer. It should include the duration of the employment.
- Applicants picture for IMU website
- A budget estimation.
To get the application form, click here
- April 30, 2021, for visits between September 1 and December 31, 2021
- August 31, 2021, for visits between January 1 and April 30, 2022
- December 31, 2021, for visits between May 1 and August 31, 2022
For more information and application, visit the official site.