The Africa Centre of Excellence in Coastal Resilience (ACECoR) established under the World Bank Africa Centre of Excellence (ACE) for Development Impact Project and hosted by the Centre for Coastal Management, University of Cape Coast, Ghana, invites suitably qualified national, and regional and international applicants into its MPhil and PhD degree programmes.
The overarching goal of ACECoR is to support the technical capacity development of young African professionals to address issues of coastal degradation, as well as promote the sustainable utilization and management of marine and coastal assets within the sub-region. ACECoR will carry out education and research programs in collaboration with academic institutions and industries at the national, regional, and international levels to ensure a multi- and interdisciplinary approach to addressing coastal degradation across the sub-region. The specific objectives of ACECoR are to:
- Enhance capabilities of young African scholars in the thematic areas of Coastal Geomorphology and Engineering, Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation, Disaster Risk Management and Migration, Ecosystems and Biodiversity Science and Blue Economy, Governance, and Social resilience.
- Provide demand-driven applied research data and innovation for relevant industries and sectors in the above themes.
- Develop regional data support systems on marine and coastal issues. Create multi-sectoral networks for marine and coastal for an integrated approach to resolving coastal degradation in West Africa.
- Provide career development for faculty through an international exchange programme and in-service training.
The ACECoR scholarships are available to all African nationals who meet the admission requirements of the University of Cape Coast. Priority will be given to female applicants as well as applicants from West and Central African countries.
The selection criteria are:
- Academic Excellence
- Relevant Academic Background
- Level of Language Skills
- Motivation and Potential
- Relevant Work Experience
All candidates must submit the following (indicating the preferred area of research):
- Completed Scholarship Application form
- Certified true copies of academic certificates and transcripts
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Statement of Motivation
- Two (2) letters of recommendation (at least one from a former lecturer/supervisor)
- A 2-3 page research proposal in the preferred area of research
To apply to ACECoR Call for Applications: MPhil and PhD Programmes, click here.
Deadline: November 15, 2023.
For more information, visit the official site.