The African Critical Inquiry Programme (ACIP) welcomes application to the 2021 Ivan Karp Doctoral Research Awards to support African doctoral students conducting dissertation research on relevant topics in social sciences in South Africa.
The African Critical Inquiry Programme (ACIP) is a collaboration between the University of the Western Cape’s Centre for Humanities Research and Emory University’s Laney Graduate School. They aim to advance analysis and exploration into the functions and practices of popular culture, public cultural institutions, and public scholarship in shaping African identities and societies.
ACIP is dedicated to fostering collaboration between scholars and culture/history makers, as well as research into the politics of information creation, the relationships between colonial/apartheid and postcolonial/postapartheid, and the value of critical pluralism in the face of nationalist discourse.
Benefits: ZAR 40,000
- The ACIP Awards are open to African postgraduate students (irrespective of their citizenship) in the humanities and humanistic social sciences.
- candidates must be presently registered in a Ph.D. program in a South African university.
- He/she must be working on topics related to ACIP’s focus.
- The candidate’s dissertation proposal has to be approved by their institution to confirm the award.
Prospecting candidates for the ACIP IVAN awards are to access the application form online and provide the following documents as a single file attachment for applications:
- abstract of the proposed research project not less than 250 words
- complete cover sheet
- a research proposal outlining the project’s goals, central questions, significance, and relevance for ACIP’s central concerns
- bibliography of up to two additional pages
- academic transcript and proof of registration at current institution
- two letters of reference; one from the candidate’s supervisor
- a budget listing out the project expenses to be supported by the award.
Deadline: May 3, 2021.
For more information and application, visit the official site.