African Center for Translational Genomics (ACTG), announces its 2021 Academic Scholarship open to emerging genomic scientists.
ACTG is committed to empowering the next generation of African genomic scientists to enhance Africa’s competitive advantage globally.
Its aim is to enhance Africa’s competitive advantage in the genomics research and development space, globally, by reaching and assisting young scientists as early as possible in their careers. The successful candidates will be working with the NCD-GHS team and are to either focus on exploring the genetic epidemiology or the molecular genetics of some Non-Communicable Diseases (cancers, diabetes, thyroid disorders, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, and sickle cell).
However, ACTG is facilitating studies that would help unravel the genomic determinants of non-communicable diseases with special attention to cardiometabolic diseases among African populations. The studies also aim to develop insights that would facilitate precision medicine and translational research in Africa.
Duration: 4 years
$4,000 is available per scholar per year for up to 4 years.
To be eligible for ACTG 2021 Academic Scholarship for Emerging Genomics, applicants must:
- Be bonafide students of any University located in Africa.
- Ba an African graduates with a passion for research and excellent academic results.
- Have been enrolled in a full-time PhD programs and are to complete their program within the three or four year period of their study as defined by their academic institutions.
- Be studying molecular genetics or genetic epidemiology or related fields.
A complete application must include the following:
- CV of the applicant
- Research proposal summary in either genetic epidemiology or molecular genetics of any of the NCDs highlighted above (maximum 4 pages)
- Statement of interest from the applicant indicating academic qualifications, research interests, his/her suitability to work with the NCD-GHS and career goals (one paragraph for each criterion).
- Letter of support from the department chair or faculty supervisor of the applicant stating the student’s academic qualifications and accomplishments, career goals, and reasons for selecting the candidate (maximum 2 pages)
To apply for the ACTG 2021 Academic Scholarship for Emerging Genomics, click here
Deadline: August 15, 2021.
For more information, visit the official site.