The Association of Commonwealth University welcomes applications for the ACU Early Career Hybrid Conference Grants 2023.
For emerging academics, taking part in conferences can have a profound impact on their teaching and research. These events are a chance to share research, learn about the latest developments in an area of work, and build valuable professional networks. Researchers find themselves better informed and better connected with new knowledge that can be shared and multiplied among colleagues and students.
Early Career Conference Grants help to ensure that more emerging researchers – and the universities that employ them – can benefit from these valuable opportunities.
For virtual conferences, the grants cover:
- Conference registration fee of up to £600 GBP
- A data grant of £50 GBP for successful applicants who do not have reliable access to Wi-Fi.
- Free access to a half-day training session on how to deliver great virtual presentations
For in-person conferences, grants are a maximum of GBP 2,000 to cover:
- Conference registration fee
- Visa costs
- Travel and health insurance
- COVID-19 testing for travel
- Be employed by an ACU member university with the job title of lecturer, post-doctoral researcher, professor, associate professor, or equivalent.
- Be within 7 years of the start of their academic (research/teaching) career, with the exception of those who have had career breaks. A career break is a period of time out from employment for personal or professional reasons, including caring for children.
- Not have previously traveled for work purposes (including conferences) outside their region of employment since the start of their academic career.
- Not be a previous recipient of an ACU Early Career Conference Grant (previously known as Early Career Academic Grants)
As part of the application form, applicants must:
- Give details of their chosen conference, including a copy of their abstract.
- State whether the conference is virtual or in-person (for hybrid conferences applicants must choose whether they wish to attend in-person or virtually).
- Choose the Sustainable Development Goal(s) which relate most closely to their research and describe how their research can contribute to achieving these goals.
- Explain the reasons for their choice of conference and how it links to their research interests.
- If applying for an in-person conference, give a breakdown of the costs for which they are applying for funding.
- Explain how participating in the conference will benefit their career and professional development.
- Explain how they will share the knowledge gained by participating in the conference.
- Provide a detailed letter or email of support from their head of department commenting on the suitability of the conference and how participating in the conference will be beneficial.
To apply, click here.
Deadline: November 28, 2022.
For more information, visit the official site.