Africa Early Childhood Network (AfECN) calls for applications to the Africa Early Childhood Research Fellowship Programme 2020.
The Africa Early Childhood Network (AfECN) is a non-profit professional network, advocating for the protection of children’s rights, influencing policy and practice, strengthening partnerships, and sharing experiences and knowledge in Early Childhood Development (ECD) on the African continent.
AfECN has acknowledged five areas demanding improvement to make improvement towards large-scale equitable access to early child development programmes in sub-Saharan Africa: the areas are advocacy, networking, knowledge generation and dissemination, practice, and leadership.
In 2017, AfECN began implementing a mentorship programme to strengthen Early Child Development research dimensions in Africa by supporting early-to-mid-career African scholars (Research Fellows) who can work at the intersection of research, practice and policy to advance early childhood development in the region.
However, the aim of this programme is to develop capacity in the region for culturally and contextually relevant research to support the level of program implementation necessary to produce high-quality early childhood outcomes. Suggested disciplines include; Early Childhood Studies, Social Sciences, Foods, Nutrition & Dietetics, Health Sciences, Communication & Media Studies, and Law.
- Parent education and empowerment focus on fatherhood
- Early learning quality improvement
- Health system strengthening to support child development outcomes
- Implementation of ECD Policies and legislation
- Safety and protection of young children in difficult circumstances
- Quality of Childcare Services for children under 3 years.
Duration: 18 months
- Placement(s) with partner agencies in a position to support and benefit from the work of Research Fellow in the areas research interest.
- Seed grants of US$ 4,500
- Guidance from mentors and mentorship groups who will engage with Research Fellows throughout the program
- Support to attend a conference and to facilitate dissemination of research findings.
- Linkages and connection to research funding opportunities and ECD networks and
- Award of a certificate of completion
- Candidates applying for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- Be doctoral degree holders who completed their PhDs within the last five years
- They should not be older than 40 years
- They should be citizens or established residents in a Social Society Administration country,
- Be in the early stages of their research careers in ECD-related areas.
Applicants should submit the following documents;
- A curriculum vitae of no more than two pages
- letter of motivation maximum of 250 words
- letter of intent giving an overview of the project on the attached form
- A letter of commitment from the applicant’s institution supporting the research endorsed by the head of the institution.
- One reference letter from researchers, academics, or practitioners familiar with candidates work.
Deadline: August 30, 2020
For more information, visit the official site.