The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation is announcing a research chair at the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) in Mbour, Senegal, as part of the “German Research Chairs” program funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF).
The research chair is designed to help strengthen mathematical higher education and research in Africa, promote networking between AIMS Senegal and German higher education institutions, and support networking amongst the various AIMS centers in Africa.
AIMS Senegal is part of the AIMS-Next Einstein Initiative (AIMS-NEI), which seeks to establish a coordinated network of supra-regional centers of excellence in Africa. Following the appointment, the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) will grant candidates additional financing to help him/her build his/her group (PhD students, Postdocs), collaborate with German higher education institutions, and promote mobility among AIMS centers.
The research chair will receive funding of up to 835,000 euros for initially six years. The money will cover
- the salary attached to the research chair, to be determined depending on candidate career stage
- relocation costs
- research stays in Germany
- participation in conferences in Rwanda and abroad
- expenses for organising workshops and conferences at the AIMS centre
- specialist literature, equipment and expendable materials at the AIMS centre
Applicants are welcome to apply for the German Research Chair in “Mathematics and its Applications” at the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) in Senegal if he/she
- have completed his/her doctorate and established an internationally outstanding research record in mathematics and its applications
- have several years of experience in research, teaching, and supervising students and, ideally, doctoral candidates
- conduct application-relevant research into topics with the potential to contribute to the development of the African continent
- would like to initiate academic collaborations with colleagues at German higher education institutions
- are willing to relocate to, live and work in Senegal for the duration of the funding period
Interested applicants are welcome to make their applications online using the link below.
To apply for the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences 2022 German Research Chair, click here.
Deadline: April 01, 2022.
For more information on African Institute for Mathematical Sciences 2022 German Research Chair, visit the official site.