Country of origin: Nigeria
January’s spotlight is on Emiri Dafe Aniekan as Academic Hive’s Young Scholar of the Month.
Emiri Dafe currently lectures in the Department of Civil Engineering of Cross River University of Technology (CRUTECH).
He is a specialist in engineering material and construction project management, with years of working experience as a researcher and entrepreneur in different industries including digital technology, agriculture, and oil & gas sector as a Procurement Officer in 2015 for Daewoo Nigeria Ltd.
He was educated in Russia where he obtained his bachelor’s degree in Automation in Mechanical Engineering in 2012 and master’s degree in Computational Civil Engineering in 2014 from Peoples Friendship University of Russia (RUDN University), his master’s thesis was recognized as the 3rd best master dissertation in 2014. Also, he was trained in Computational Geometry at Technical University Berlin. In addition, he obtained his HSE Level 1, 2 & 3 certification from the Onshore & Offshore Safety Institute.
Over the years, he has attended various local and international conferences. In 2013 he co-authored a laboratory manual ‘Construction Materials’ and has since published several peer-reviewed articles in reputable international journals. His present research focuses on Computational civil engineering, Building information modeling, Composite materials, Automation technology, Project management, Blockchain, Green energy technology, 3D printing, Nanotechnology, Artificial intelligence (AI), Engineering law & Safety, Technological policy and development, Accessibility & disability design.
Following his postgraduate studies, He has excelled in countless areas of his personal and professional career. He is a member of the following professional organization: Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN); Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE); Nigeria Institution of Civil Engineers (NICE); American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) and American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME). He has a strong work ethic and believes in maintaining the highest quality of service at all times. He serves as a Journal Reviewer for the International Informational Technology and Economic Development Association (IITEDA) and Academia Letters (Academia).
He has received various awards and recommendations for his scientific contributions they include: an Award of Honour for your love and support to the National Association of Delta State (NADESSTU) CRUTECH chapter April 2021; Letter of Commendation from the Management of CRUTECH for a high degree of commitment in the discharge of official responsibilities (2019); Certificate of excellence 3rd Best masters dissertation 2014 (RUDN); Volga State University of Technology, certificate of excellence at conference proceeding April 2014 Yoshkar-Ola, Russia; Certificate of Honor for appreciation in the Executives for activities of the Nigerian student union People’s Friendship University of Russia. Moscow, Russia. 2011
What am I currently working on?
Emiri Dafe Aniekan has several concurrent projects; he is currently developing two textbooks, the first is on Material Testing in Civil Engineering, Carpentry and Joinery, the other is on Engineering Law and Safety: A Professional Guide for Engineering Practitioners.
His present research projects are on Improving the Safety and Environment of Automobile Mechanic Workshop in Calabar Municipality through Legislature. This research examines the status quo and develops possible remedies to combat the challenges faced in automobile mechanic workshops in Nigeria. It takes a comprehensive assessment of government regulations, business entry requirements, training, certification, design and construction, operation, management, quality control, health safety, environmental and security (HSES) practice, customer satisfaction, global best practice, laws, policy framework and prospects within the sector.
His other research project is on the design and development of high strength floor tiles using natural basalt rock, these tiles can serve both residential i.e. (kitchen and countertops walls), any commercial purpose, or outdoor flooring tiles.
As an Academic, the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic presented many opportunities and challenges, during this new normal, he successfully participated in numerous workshops, seminars, courses, and conferences below:
- Digital Skills: Digital Marketing, Accenture (Future Learn), November 2021
- Project Management Foundations Requirements – LinkedIn Learning / Project Management Institute (PMI), 2021
- National workshop on Government-Industrial-Academia (GIA) Linkages organized by National Centre for Technology Management (NACETEM) 24th and 25th March 2021
- Tips for Accessing Research Funding at Academic Hive Bootcamp on Friday 19th March 2021. Elsevier
- HSE in our DNA: Recycling To Wealth, HSE Summit, Century Group. 4th September 2020
- Emerging Respiratory Viruses, Including COVID-19: Methods for Detection, Prevention, Response, and Control. World Health Organisation (WHO), Health Emergencies Programme 5th July 2020.
- Entrepreneurship: From Business Idea To Action, King’s College London (Future Learn) 19th June 2020
- The Journal Publishing Cycle, Elsevier Researcher Academy, 17th June 2020
- Introducing Public Health, The Open University (OU) UK, 17th June 2020
- Why Write A Book Module, Elsevier Researcher Academy, 16th June 2020
- BSAFE Course, United Nations Department of Safety And Security (UNDSS) Confirmation No.: 2846425. 13th June 2020
- Specialized Module on Cities And Climate Change, United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) 12th June 2020
- Smart Cities, The Open University (OU) UK, 6th May 2020
- Human Rights and Law, The Open University (OU) UK, 5th May 2020
- Enterprise Design Thinking Practitioner, issued by IBM 9th April 2020
As a scholar, some of the challenges Emiri Dafe Aniekan has faced include self-funding of research projects using limited available funds, nurturing a new family while balancing work in a hybrid environment.
Quote: “The grass is greener when you water it”Dafe (2022)