The Faculty of Behavioural, Management and Social sciences (BMS), University of Twente calls for applications for the position of Assistant Professor in Applied Ethics in the Netherland.
The candidate is envisaged to develop a coherent research line in applied ethics that is oriented towards one or more technologies and (aspects of) their role in society (e.g., digital, environmental, biomedical). They are expected to publish in international refereed journals, present at conferences, apply for external funding and engage in international and interdisciplinary collaboration and in outreach activities. Their research will be embedded in the department’s research program in philosophy and ethics of technology and in university-wide multidisciplinary centers and in the social science faculty’s multidisciplinary research lines such as those in the assessment of emerging technologies, health, resilience, learning, and smart industry. Also, they will participate in the interuniversity 4TU.Center for Ethics and Technology.
Start Date: August 1, 2021
Successful candidates will teach ethics in our two-year master program in Philosophy of Science, Technology, and Society (PSTS) and teach professional and applied ethics and other areas of philosophy for bachelor and master programs in engineering and social science, including ethics courses for management programs, and technology ethics for engineering programs.
They are involved in the supervision of master’s theses in the PSTS program and will at some point supervise Ph.D. students in the department’s Ph.D. program in Ethics and Technology (the scope of which also includes social and political philosophy and philosophical anthropology).
- Starting salary between € 3,746 to € 5,826 gross per month based on experience;
- An additional holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%
- A solid pension scheme;
- Possibilities to save up holidays for sabbatical leave;
- Minimum of 29 holidays in case of full-time employment;
- Professional and personal development programs;
- International applicants are likely to qualify for a low 30% tax regime for the first five years of their appointment.
Qualifications for the position include
- A Ph.D. in philosophy, preferably in ethics;
- A focus on technology and its role in society in past research or a demonstrable interest in focusing on technology for your future research;
- An excellent list of publications in peer-refereed journals;
- Relevant international experience;
- Experience in teaching at the university level, preferably including students in science & engineering, social science, or other non-philosophical fields;
- Demonstrable didactic skills in teaching, good evaluations, and a passion for teaching;
- Ability and willingness to teach in areas of philosophy outside their philosophical specialization;
- Willingness and ability to engage in multidisciplinary collaborations with researchers and teachers from non-philosophical fields;
- Excellent command of the English language.
Interested applicants should send the following documents to apply, for this position
- a CV (which should include the title of their dissertation and a short description of its contents),
- a letter of application (including a summary of their teaching evaluations),
- contact information for 2 or more references, and
- a writing sample.
To apply, click here.
Application Deadline: February 28, 2021.
For more information visit the official site.