Utrecht University is offering an Assistant Professor position in Practical Philosophy, with a specialization in bio-ethics, in the following fields: health care ethics, reproductive ethics, disability ethics, biomedical ethics, neuroethics, pharmaceutical ethics or public health ethics.
The position is situated within the Ethics Institute, which is part of the Department of Philosophy & Religious Studies. The Assistant Professor‘s teaching time will be spent primarily in the BA programme in Philosophy, MA programme in Applied Ethics and in-service teaching in other faculties (such as Biology and Pharmacy and the new minor in Medical Humanities).
The BA programme in Philosophy offers a broad introduction to philosophy, of which practical philosophy composes a substantial part. The Master Applied Ethics is a one-year programme that attracts students from a wide variety of disciplines who are interested in ethical issues in fields of e.g. biomedical ethics, sustainability, and economic ethics. In addition to teaching courses in these programmes, the Assistant Professor will also be involved in the coaching of internships and theses, in the tutoring of students, and take management responsibilities (such as membership in an Exam committee or Education Committee).
The Ethics Institute encourages applications from women, scholars with disabilities, scholars from minority backgrounds, and other persons from groups that are currently underrepresented in philosophy.
Start Date: August 1, 2021.
Duration: Full-time position for 2 years.
- A gross salary ranging from €3,491-€5,127 10/11;
- Holiday bonus and end-of-year bonus;
- A pension scheme,
- Partially paid parental leave and flexible employment conditions
The successful candidate will have:
- a doctorate in Philosophy or a closely related discipline by the time of appointment;
- demonstrable general knowledge of the field of bioethics;
- experience with teaching in undergraduate and/or graduate (BA and/or MA) programmes, preferably in the field of bioethics;
- excellent proficiency in spoken and written English;
- open and enthusiastic attitude: the willingness and abilities to contribute actively to the formation of learning communities of staff and students;
- excellent communication and coordination/organization skills;
- proficiency in spoken and written Dutch is a strong asset.
To apply for this position, applicants are to submit the following documents:
- curriculum vitae, including a list of their publications.
- cover letter (maximum one page);
- names and contact details of two referees whom we may contact;
- a research plan for the next 5 years (maximum two pages);
- a key publication (maximum 20 pages);
- two-course evaluations (if any).
To apply, click here
Application Deadline: January 4, 2021.
For more information, visit the official site.