The Faculty of Humanities at the University of Amsterdam invites applications for the position of Assistant Professor in Data Science and Ethics.
The Data Science Centre is a new cross-Faculty institution at the University of Amsterdam that aims to enhance the university’s research by developing, sharing, and applying data science methods and technologies. As a coordinating hub within the UvA Library, the center is uniquely positioned to facilitate knowledge exchange as well as the training of skills related to digital and data-driven research and thus contributes to the innovation, diffusion, and cross-pollination of data science across the university. The candidate will enhance the existing team of humanities researchers at the DSC.
The successful candidate for this position will:
- develop a critical humanities research agenda in data studies/data science with a specific focus on data ethics;
- examine societal challenges of data studies, such as the role of bias in algorithms and artificial intelligence or questions of transparency and opacity;
- experience with born-digital data in particular domains, including social media and health, but are also open to well-justified applications from other domains;
- work interdisciplinary, across departmental and disciplinary boundaries, and support the development of existing and new curricula and programmes;
- actively pursue external funding for research, notably funding from research councils, both national as well as European;
- contribute to developing national and international research networks and other forms of cooperation;
- be actively contributing to the research activities of ASCA and DSC.
- develop, teach and organise courses in both Dutch and English, in the BA and MA programmes;
- supervise BA and MA theses and tutoring students; co-supervising PhD theses.
The Assistant Professor position in Data Science and Ethics covers:
- The gross monthly salary will range from between €3,821 to €5,943
- 8% holiday allowance and the 8,3% year-end allowance.
- the opportunity to collaborate in interdisciplinary teams;
- excellent opportunities for study and personal development;
- an inspiring academic and international working environment in the heart of Amsterdam.
- a PhD the humanities, social or information sciences with a relevant research focus in the critical analysis of data processes;
- hold an international academic network in the research area concerned;
- provide research output commensurate with the level of the position;
- active and ambitious researcher with a strong publication record;
- demonstrable ability and ambition to obtain external research grants;
- knowledge and experience in cultural data analysis using data science languages such as R or Python;
- broad and relevant teaching experience at BA and MA level;
- experience with digital and audiovisual teaching facilities and affinity with IT in university teaching;
- experienced in valorisation and practice-based education and/or research;
- good team player and versatile at all levels, capable of multidisciplinary co-operation;
- excellent organisational experience and skills;
Applications for Assistant Professor in Data Science and Ethics should include the following information:
- a letter of motivation;
- a detailed CV;
- the names and email addresses of two references who can provide letters of recommendation;
- a list of publications.
To apply for Assistant Professor in Data Science and Ethics, click here.
Application Deadline: March 31, 2022.
For more information on Assistant Professor in Data Science and Ethics, visit the official site.