Applications are currently ongoing for Assistant Professor of Colonial Heritage and Shoah at the University of Amsterdam in the Netherlands.
The Faculty of Humanities provides education and conducts research with a strong international profile in a large number of disciplines in the field of language and culture. Located in the heart of Amsterdam, the Faculty maintains close ties with many cultural institutes in the capital city. Research and teaching staff focus on interdisciplinary collaboration and are active in several teaching programs. The Faculty of Humanities offers assistant professors the opportunity to collaborate with leading researchers at research institutes that – partly as a result of their interdisciplinary approach – are world-renowned.
The faculty is looking for a candidate with a strong background in literary, cultural, and/or media studies and heritage and memory studies, and well acquainted with the fields of cultural analysis, sites of memory, and digital memory studies, who is able to set up a national research network to examine the entanglements of colonial and Shoah heritage sites in the Netherlands and the displacement and traveling of memories. The candidate is able to reflect on museum and heritage practices and also contribute to the academic development of the field.
In this position, the candidate will:
- actively pursue external funding for research, notably funding from research councils, national as well as European;
- actively contribute to and develop national and international research networks and other forms of cooperation;
- develop, coordinate, and teach courses mainly in the Bachelor and Master programs of Literary and Cultural Analysis (in English);
- actively contribute to the research activities of AHM;
- supervise Bachelor and Master theses and tutor students; co-supervising PhD dissertations;
- actively contribute to the development and improvement of the broader teaching programs in the department;
- taking part in committees and working groups, and carrying out departmental administrative tasks as directed.
Duration: a temporary employment contract for a period of 12 months with a probationary period of two months.
- The gross monthly salary, based on 38 hours per week and relevant experience, ranges between € 3,974 to € 6,181.
- offer an extensive package of secondary benefits, including an 8% holiday allowance and a year-end bonus of 8.3%.
- the opportunity to collaborate in interdisciplinary teams.
- opportunities for professional development.
- an inspiring academic and international working environment in the heart of Amsterdam.
- holds a PhD in the Humanities with a research focus on literary, cultural, and/or media studies, museum, and heritage, and memory studies;
- holds an international academic and a national professional network in the research area concerned;
- provides research output commensurate with the level of the position;
- active and ambitious researcher with a strong publication record;
- demonstrable ability and ambition to obtain external research grants;
- broad and relevant teaching experience at BA and MA levels;
- good command of both Dutch and English;
- experience with digital and audiovisual teaching facilities and affinity with IT in university teaching;
- experienced in valorization and practice-based education and/or research;
Interested applicants are welcome to send the following documents alongside their applications:
- a letter of motivation,
- a detailed CV,
- list of publications and
- the names and email addresses of two references who can provide letters of recommendation.
Deadline: February 19, 2023.
For more information, visit the official site.