The call for application Is open to the 2021/22 BIEA Graduate Research Grants.
The British Institute in Eastern Africa graduate attachments offers recent graduates, with an interest in further studies in Africa, the opportunity to gain practical experience of research through a three-month graduate attachment scheme (GAS). In 2021/22 there were will be three GAS cohorts, which will run from July-September 2021, October-December 2021, and January to March 2022.
Due to the current COVID pandemic, the scheme will initially be run wholly on-line with the possibility of some face-to-face work dependent on travel and health and safety regulations. Nevertheless, graduate attachés will be involved in three types of work while at the BIEA:
- Development of specific research interests in the region, gain practical experience of conducting research by working as a research assistant on a number of innovative historical, archaeological, anthropological, political science, and legal projects, gain training in research methods, and meet a variety of active researchers;
- Assist with the administration of the BIEA including website, library, reading groups focused on key texts in African studies, workshops and seminars; and,
- Conduct their own research usually leading to developing a plan for a Master’s or Ph.D. Their attachment involves the presentation of a paper in the BIEA Completion Seminar Series upon some aspect of the research they have carried out during their time at BIEA; and
- Have the opportunity to take beginner’s Kiswahili classes.
- As a graduate attaché, the applicant will receive a monthly stipend of 260 GBP towards subsistence costs. And
- A small research allowance.
Qualified candidates applying for these research grants must:
- have a strong academic record, some experience of studying/researching Africa, and a clear interest in developing their own research.
- He/she should also be able to show significant initiative and be ready to offer enthusiastic assistance for various research projects and subsequent data analysis.
- Also, they should be ready to offer enthusiastic assistance for various field projects and subsequent data analysis.
To Apply for this research grants, applicants are to send a
- A Curriculum Vitae,
- A Cover Letter detailing any research experience that they have and the methods used and how participation in the scheme will assist the development of their career.
- Two academic references sent directly to BIEA to email@example.com.
Deadline: March 25, 2021.
For more information and application, visit the official site.