The Bayreuth International Graduate School of African Studies, BIGSAS, invites outstanding female African scholars based on the continent to join an international community of early career researchers working in the field of African Studies.
BIGSAS provides a centre for creative and innovative doctoral training based on the inter-and multi-disciplinary research environment of the Africa Multiple Cluster of Excellence at the University of Bayreuth.
In 2022, BIGSAS is awarding scholars within the Graduate School Scholarship Programme (GSSP) provided by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). For these, BIGSAS will nominate candidates who have successfully passed the application procedure. The scholarship periods begin in October 2022 at the earliest (including a German language course starting in summer 2022, if applicable).
Duration: The BIGSAS scholarships are awarded for a total period of four (4) years.
- Monthly payments of 1,200 euros
- Payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover
- Travel lump sum (depending on country of origin)
- Annual research allowance of 460 euros
Under certain circumstances, grant holders may receive the following additional benefits:
- monthly rent subsidy
- monthly allowance for accompanying members of family (about 200 euros child allowance per child; about 275 euros marriage allowance)
- Excellently-qualified doctoral candidates and young academics and scientists who have completed a Master’s degree or Diplom, or
- In exceptional cases a Bachelor’s degree at the latest by the time they begin their scholarship – depending on the graduate school.
Applications for the BIGSAS scholarship can only be taken into consideration if the following documents are provided (in English, French or German) and meet the requested specifications
- Curriculum Vitae,
- Project proposal
- Motivation letter,
- Secondary School Graduation Certificate / Higher Education Entrance Certificate,
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent degree including complete pages of the transcript of records,
- Soft copy of written and graded Master’s or equivalent thesis,
- Two recommendation letters,
- List of academic publications (if available).
To apply for the BIGSAS-Scholarships for Female African Scholars, click here.
Deadline: January 30, 2022.
For more information on BIGSAS-Scholarships for Female African Scholars, visit the official site.