Application is ongoing for the 2021 Stellenbosch Institute for Advanced Study (STIAS) Iso Lomso Fellowship.
It is especially important to nurture a new generation of African scholars to provide the intellectual leadership needed for future development. For this purpose, STIAS has established an early career research fellowship programme called Iso Lomso.
The translation of the isiXhosa words ‘iso lomso’ is ‘the eye of tomorrow’ and connotes seeing into the future, working towards the future, preparing for the future, and laying foundations for tomorrow. Iso Lomso aims to address the gap that exists between the completion of the Ph.D. and becoming an established scholar in Africa. While there is increasing support for doctoral study and for post-doctoral fellowships, it is during the extended post-doctoral period that the greatest loss of talent occurs.
However, the programme will be guided by the Institute’s emphasis on interdisciplinary research and its goal of creating research networks within and beyond Africa.
Duration: 3 years
While in residence fellows receive regular STIAS fellow support which includes:
- an economy return flight;
- comfortable accommodation within walking distance from the institute;
- a monthly stipend for daily living costs;
- individual offices equipped with a PC, telephone, and printer;
- access to the Stellenbosch University library (including electronic resources) and a high-speed internet connection;
- participation in the regular STIAS fellows programme, including daily lunch, weekly fellows’ seminars, STIAS public lectures, and social events;
- a child care subsidy for fellows accompanied by young children while in residence.
- The programme is aimed at African scholars who have obtained a doctoral degree within the preceding seven years and
- He/she should hold an academic position at a university or research institution anywhere in Africa.
- Candidates should have established a research programme and have completed a post-doctoral fellowship or equivalent post-PhD programme. All disciplines are considered.
The following documents, all in PDF format, must accompany your application:
- A motivational cover letter of not more than one page in length
- Pre-proposal for a three-year research project
- A copy of the applicant’s doctoral certificate.
- Letter of support from the applicant’s home institution (either from the head of a department, dean of faculty, principal of the college, or equivalent).
- One or two recent writing examples authored by the applicant
- Two letters of recommendation from scholars who are familiar with the applicant’s work, preferably one from the applicant’s current home institution and one from another institution.
To apply click here
Deadline: February 15, 2021
For more information, visit the official site.