The African Centre for Migration & Society (ACMS) at the University of the Witwatersrand is seeking applications for MA and Ph.D. scholarships offered by DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) as part of its ‘In-Region Scholarship Programme South Africa’.
The program aims at fostering strong, internationally oriented higher education systems in Sub-Saharan Africa with the capacity to contribute to sustainable development. To this end, scholarships are granted for development-related Masters or doctoral studies for individuals who plan to pursue a career in teaching and/or research at a higher education institution in Sub-Saharan Africa. By training future academic and professional leaders, the program contributes to the following long-term impacts:
- Qualified professionals’ involvement in the solution of development-related problems in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Graduates strengthening education and research in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Structural strengthening and regional networking of partner institutions and partner universities
The scholarship covers:
- Tuition Fees
- Study and research allowance
- Printing allowance
- Monthly Scholarship (Accommodation, Food, etc.)
- Travel allowance (In-Region only)
- Insurance (In-Region only)
ACMS will use the following eligibility criteria. Applicants:
- Must be nationals or permanent residents of a Sub-Saharan African country (excluding South Africa);
- Must have completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application;
- Ph.D. applicants must have an MA degree with a total aggregate mark of at least 70%;
- MA applicants must have an Honours degree or equivalent with a total aggregate mark of at least 65%;
- Must have been accepted to study for MA/Ph.D. in Migration and Displacement at ACMS.
- A complete CV;
- A cover letter summarising qualifications, professional experience, and reasons for interest in the Migration and Displacement program;
- Copies of transcripts and degree certificates;
- A short research proposal (1500 words maximum) outlining the proposed research project;
- SAQA evaluation (for foreign qualifications);
- A writing sample of not more than 10,000 words (e.g., a chapter; article; term paper).
- Proof of admission or application for admission at Wits/ACMS
- Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to apply.
Deadline: April 30, 2021.
For more information and application, visit the official site.