Application is open to DAAD-ZMT Doctoral Scholarship for Scholars from Sub-Sahara Africa, 2021/22.
The Leibniz Centre for Tropical Marine Research (ZMT) advertises doctoral scholarships starting in Fall 2021. The scholarships will be granted by the DAAD and are funded by the Graduate School Scholarship Programme (GSSP). ZMT will make a preselection and nominates successful applicants to DAAD.
The scholarships are related to the interdisciplinary research topic “Adaptation of marine socio-ecological systems to changing environments”. The ecosystems along the densely populated coasts of the tropical belt are particularly affected by severe global, regional and local environmental changes. The possibilities and consequences of the adaptation of biological and social systems to these progressive changes are to be investigated through different, mutually complementary research approaches. This topic is open to different disciplinary approaches and interdisciplinary cooperation.
The ZMT Academy coordinates a structured doctoral program based on the ZMT Doctoral Studies Regulations. The university, that issues the doctoral degree, depends on the supervisor and the topic. The doctoral projects of the scholarship holders are based on one of the following ZMT departments and one working group. The working group leader acts as the main scientific supervisor.
- Biogeochemistry and Geology
- Theoretical Ecology and Modeling
- Social Sciences.
Duration: 4 years
The scholarship includes:
- a scholarship installment of currently €1,200 per month;
- travel allowance;
- a research allowance of currently € 460 per year
- payments towards health, accident, and personal liability insurance cover;
- a preparatory intensive German language course starting in Summer 2021
- under certain circumstances, grant holders may receive a monthly allowance for accompanying family members (about €200 child allowance per child and about €275 marriage allowance);
- Research Stays abroad are possible if they do not take longer than 25% of the scholarship period.
To be eligible for this scholarship, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants need to originate from Sub-Sahara Africa.
- They need to hold a university degree (international degrees must be equivalent to a German “Diploma”, “Magister” or “Master”).
- The last final exam (Master’s degree or equivalent) must have taken place no longer than six years ago.
- At the time when DAAD receives the nomination letter (March 2021), applicants must not have resided in Germany for more than 15 months prior to the nomination.
- ZMT strives to increase the proportion of women in research and encourages females to apply for these positions.
DAAD_ZMT doctoral scholarship application involves three steps
Step 1: Submission of application
Step 2: Submission of Proposal
Step 3: Selected candidates will be nominated by ZMT to the DAAD for the scholarship
The Submission of the application consists of:
- Curriculum Vitae (maximum 2 pages)
- Personal details
- Letter of Motivation
- Concept of their Doctoral project, maximum 2-page.
- Letter of support from ZMT workgroup leader
- Master and Bachelor degree certificates
- Letter of Reference from 2 referees (according to this template)
Deadline: December 20, 2020
For more information visit the official site.