Google News Initiative invites applications from organizations for the 2022 Google News Equity Fund for Small and Medium-sized Publishers.
Google has established the ‘News Equity Fund,’ a global commitment to provide financial assistance and opportunities to news organizations that primarily serve disadvantaged groups.
Their goal is to increase inclusiveness, empower a diverse news ecosystem, and specifically help small and medium-sized publishers who are producing original content for underrepresented audiences around the world.
To be eligible for the Google News Equity Fund, a Project must:
- be in a pre-launch phase (for example, at a design or prototype stage and not live);
- require funding for 12 months or less; and
- relate to or prom.
Funding amounts will vary depending on the size of the newsroom and the number of eligible applications received
- The News Equity Fund is open to independent newsrooms employing between 1 – 50 full-time journalists (FTE).
- Eligible applicants may include for-profit or nonprofit traditional news organizations, digital natives, newsletters, podcasts, radio and/or TV broadcasters, and trade press associations whose members cover underrepresented groups.
- Eligible applicants should publish journalistic content regularly.
- Small and medium-sized news organizations produce original news for underrepresented audiences.
- Eligible applicants need to have a focus on core news provision, i.e. not a lifestyle, and sports.
- Eligible applicants must have a verifiable digital presence (such as a website primarily providing journalistic content) and have been in full operation for at least 12 months.
Selected applicants for the Google News Equity Fund will demonstrate that their Projects:
- conforms with the requirements listed in Section 4 (Project Eligibility), and the Program objectives and main criteria described on the Website;
- is ready to launch as soon as possible and no later than 30 days after receiving Program funding; and
- can be completed within 12 months after receiving Program funding.
For detailed information on how to apply for the Google News Equity Fund, click here.
Deadline: July 21, 2022.
For more information, visit the official site.