The Academy on Human Rights and Humanitarian Law at American University Washington College of Law call for submission of papers for the Human Rights Essay Award 2021 on the topic “Human Rights and States of Emergency: Unexpected Crises and New Challenges”.
The Human Rights Essay Award is an annual competition sponsored by the Academy that seeks to stimulate the production of scholarly work in international human rights law. Participants have the flexibility to choose any subject related to the assigned topic. The essay must be a legal article.
The award covers:
- A full scholarship to the Program of Advanced Studies on Human Rights and Humanitarian Law for either the Diploma or Certificate of Attendance options
- Travel expenses to and from Washington D.C.
- Housing at the university dorms
- Per diem for living expenses
- The best articles may also be published in the American University International Law Review.
To be eligible for this essay award, candidates must:
- hold a law degree and have a demonstrated experience or interest in international human rights law.
- choose a subject pertaining to the topic chosen by the Academy for the year.
- The paper must be within the scope of the topic or it will be disqualified.
- submit an unpublished legal article/paper in English or Spanish written solely by that candidate.
- not put their name or any identifying information in their essays.
- The essay has to be a legal article; therefore, it will include foot pages and citations.
To apply for the Human Rights Essay Award, candidates must follow the rules below:
- A curriculum vitae of no more than three pages in length explaining the experience or interest of the author in human rights issues submitted separately from the paper.
- The papers must not exceed 35 pages in length, including footnotes.
- Essays must use Times New Roman font, 12-point double-spaced for the body of the essay, and 10-point single-spaced for footnotes.
- All essays must be on letter-size paper (8.5 x 11 inches/21.59 x 27.94 cm) with 1 inch (2.54 cm) margins all around.
For essay submission, click here
Deadline: February 1, 2021
For more information and application, visit the official site.