I Tatti – The Harvard University Center for Italian Renaissance Studies and the German Historical Institute in Rome (Deutsches Historisches Institut in Rom) offer a joint residential fellowship for the 2022-2023 academic year.
With this fellowship, I Tatti and the DHI Rom seeks to stimulate and support increased scholarship on cultural exchange with and within the African continent during the period c. 1250-1750 by creating and promoting opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaboration, particularly between scholars from African regions and those working in European and North American institutions.
The fellowship offers post-doctoral scholars working on African studies (or topics that closely consider Africa) a ten-month position to conduct historical research in Italy supported by two institutes with dynamic academic communities.
The fellowship is designed for scholars in fields related to the study of pre-colonial and colonial African history c. 1250-1750, including art history, the history of expressive cultures, musicology, economic history, intellectual, political, and religious history, as well as literature and languages.
- The stipend is Euro 2,500 per month, plus a monthly supplement of Euro 1,000 to offset rental costs.
- Fellows will have their space to work within the DHI for the duration of their stay.
- Fellows enjoy the use of the DHI library, archive, and collections.
- Applications welcome from scholars of all nationalities.
- Special consideration will be given to scholars from the African continent.
- Applicants must have their PhD certificate in hand by the time they apply. (If the certificate is not in English, please include a translation.)
- Applicants must be fluent in English, Italian, German, or French, and proficient in an additional one of these languages.
- Each successful candidate must be approved by both institutions.
- The Fellow will be expected to carry out original research on the topic for which they have been awarded their fellowship.
- Priority will be given to applicants with no previous association with the two institutes.
Applications must be written in English and must be submitted electronically including Letters of reference.
To apply for the I Tatti/DHI Rom Joint Fellowship, click here.
Deadline: November 15, 2021.
For more information about the I Tatti/DHI Rom Joint Fellowship, visit the official site.