The International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) is currently accepting applications for its summer 2023 Science Communication Fellowship.
The science communication fellow will gain experience in communicating complex systems science for a general audience through a variety of platforms including blogs, website content, social media, video, and articles for IIASA magazine, Options. The successful candidate will work in the IIASA Communications and External Relations (CER) department, assisting with a variety of tasks including web publishing, media relations, event coverage, multimedia, social media, and other communication activities. The fellow will also work closely with participants in the IIASA Young Scientists Summer Program (YSSP) and IIASA scientists, producing several pieces of work covering their research.
Duration: 5 months
IIASA Summer Science Communication Fellowship offers:
- A competitive salary that is exempt from taxation in the host country of Austria (subject to the principle of income aggregation)
- Educational subsidies for children of school age enrolled in private schools in Austria
- A generous annual leave allowance
- Tax-free shopping privileges
- Moving and settlement allowances and paid home leave for employees in scientific and professional categories hired from international locations (rules apply)
- Assistance for newcomers to Austria with visa, work, and residency permit applications
- Support finding accommodation in Austria
- Non-contributory group accident insurance coverage
Applicants for IIASA Summer Science Communication Fellowship must meet the following criteria:
- A Bachelor’s or equivalent degree in science or journalism, and/or current student or graduate of a science journalism program
- Though applicants from all countries are welcome, IIASA gives priority to citizens or residents of countries in which IIASA has a Member Organization.
- They encourage applications from developing countries.
- First experience in writing about science for the general public via blogs, newspapers, university websites, or other outlets.
- Written and oral fluency in English and proven ability to understand complex scientific research.
- Experience with or interest in social media, video, photography, or other multimedia.
To apply for IIASA Summer Science Communication Fellowship, applicants will need to provide the following documents in English:
- Cover Letter outlining their motivation for applying
- One writing sample of no more than 800 words about a scientific topic and aimed at a general audience (e.g., article for a newspaper or magazine, blog post, or op-ed)
- A letter of recommendation.
To apply, click here.
Deadline: January 20, 2023.
For more information on IIASA Summer Science Communication Fellowship, visit the official site.