The Department of Biomedical Sciences of Cells & Systems (BSCS), University Medical Center Groningen (UMCG) invites applications for the position of a Software Control Systems Engineer in Groningen, Netherlands.
The University Medical Center Groningen (UMCG) and the University of Groningen (UG) are joining forces in proton therapy R&D with the aim to create a world-class research program within the UMCG cancer research center. The AGOR-accelerator facility is a key infrastructure for radiation biology and radiation physics research in this program.
The accelerator facility consists of the superconducting cyclotron that delivers beams of ions ranging from protons to bismuth with variable energy to several experimental stations dedicated to specific types of experiments. The accelerator provides beams not only for medical research but also for research in subatomic physics and, in collaboration with industry, the radiation hardness of electronic components and sensors. Our technical support team’s focus is to meet the current and future requirements of the local, national, and international user community that depends on the accelerator and the associated experimental infrastructure for their research.
The successful applicants will perform the following task
- Designs and develops extensions of the accelerator control system related to new experimental stations, as well as new functionality of the accelerator control system to meet evolving user needs.
- Designs and develops software for data acquisition of experiments using e.g. VME hardware.
- Responsible for the accelerator control system.
- Directs the refurbishment program to replace obsolescent control system hardware.
- Advises on the control systems issues related to the procurement of equipment, such as power supplies.
- Shares together with colleagues the responsibility to keep the control system operational 24/7 during accelerator operation.
- Supports colleagues in the development of PLC and LabVIEW applications for equipment control.
- € 5.383 gross salary
- Holiday and end of the year bonus.
Candidates should meet the following requirements:
- MSc in Computer Science or equivalent with relevant experience.
- Well developed problem-solving skills; stress-resistant.
- Knowledge of/experience in: control systems of large and complex equipment, network protocols, field busses, programming in C, C++, and Java, software for embedded systems, scripting in Bash, Perl Team player.
- Good communication skills, also with non-experts; flexible.
- Leadership and coaching qualities.
For detailed information on how to apply, click here
Application Deadline: January 3, 2021
For more information, visit the official site.