The Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) invites applications for its 2022/2023 RONPAKU PhD Scholarships for African and Asian Students.
Since 1978, the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) has run the RONPAKU (Dissertation PhD) Program. The goal of this program is to provide tutorial and financial assistance to promising researchers in Asia and Africa, as well as other specified countries, who seek to achieve a PhD degree from a Japanese university through the submission of a dissertation.
However, grantees under the program (RONPAKU fellows) are to conduct their dissertation research under the joint supervision of an advisor in Japan and an advisor in their home country and are as well to obtain their PhD degree within a maximum period of three years. RONPAKU fellows are also, required to visit a Japanese university to conduct research under the direct supervision of their advisor in Japan. Also, all fields within the humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences are eligible for this fellowship.
Duration: 3 years
The fellowship will cover the following:
- Travel expenses (RONPAKU fellow’s visits to Japan, advisor’s visit to fellow’s country),
- Goods/materials, and
- Other dissertation-related expenses
The applicant for the JSPS RONPAKU PhD fellowships must be a researcher who
- Has not obtained a PhD degree from a university
- Wishes to obtain a PhD degree from a Japanese university through the submission of a dissertation
- Has already achieved substantial research results and is likely through dissertation research under the program to successfully obtain a PhD degree, and who is nominated by a home advisor and the president of his/her affiliated university/research institution
- Has nationality in an applicable country (listed in Section 3)
- Is a full-time employee at a university or research institution in his/her home country
- Is 45 years of age or younger as of 1 April 2023
The key selection criteria for JSPS RONPAKU PhD fellowships are:
- Based on their record of scientific results (e.g., publications in international journals, a record of awards), candidates must be seen as “mature” researchers.
- The candidate’s research proposal should be suitable for pursuing a PhD degree through submission of a dissertation without matriculating a doctoral course.
- The feasibility should be very high that the candidate will obtain a Ph.D. degree within a maximum of 3 years.
- The advisor in Japan must be suitable for supervising the candidate’s research;
- The host institution must have adequately prepared a system for receiving the candidate.
When applying for the fellowship, applicants are to download some forms from JSPS’s website. And attach the documents when submitting.
- Application (4 pages, pages 4-7)
- Candidate’s proposal (8 pages)
- Letter of Recommendation (one page)
To apply for JSPS RONPAKU PhD fellowships, click here.
Deadline: August 15, 2022.
For more information, visit the official site.