The Computer Science department (VU) is looking for a colleague who is passionate about education and dedicated to supporting the VU/UvA joint degree Master’s program for Bioinformatics and Systems Biology.
As a junior lecturer, the candidate will be perform various teaching and organizational activities. They will work together with coordinators, lecturers, and other junior lecturers in the VU/UvA joint-degree Master’s program in Bioinformatics and Systems Biology. The faculty is specifically looking for candidates who have a strong affinity with all aspects related to the field of Bioinformatics, including programming, molecular & cell biology, mathematics and statistics, machine learning, workflows, quantitative data analysis, and algorithmics.
They will be encouraged to develop their personal professional academic teaching skills and build a portfolio to prepare for various career paths. To this end, candidates will also acquire the “basic teaching qualification” at the university level (UTQ or BKO) and will have the opportunity to follow relevant teaching modules provided by the Teaching & Learning Center.
Jointly with the other members of the teaching organization, the candidate will:
- be actively involved in teaching and course development in the bioinformatics track
- assist in coordination and administrative tasks of the masters’ programme
- contribute to the development of academic skills and community-building activities in courses and internships
- help further improve teaching quality in the programme
- contribute to promotional activities of the programme
Duration: 4 years
In addition to the monthly salary, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
Applicants must have a Master’s degree in a field related to Computer Science, Molecular Biology, Bioinformatics, or Systems Biology, and a proven affinity with teaching. They also should:
- have a zest for disseminating skills and knowledge
- are fluent in English
- have strong oral and written communication skills
- possess good organisational and social skills, and can work with diverse international students
- can easily collaborate in teams (of both junior and senior teachers) and also work independently
- have skills in mathematics and scientific programming in R and Python
- experience as a teaching assistant or comparable work experience is a pre
Interested applicants are to send their application via the apply button below and include the following:
- A cover letter
- A detailed Curriculum Vitae,
- In the cover letter, applicants are to indicate how their background fits with their duties in this position, and in particular how their skills and experience align with the requirements.
To apply, click here.
Deadline: April 01, 2023.
For more information on the Junior Lecturer Master’s Program in Bioinformatics and Systems Biology, visit the official site.