Applications are currently ongoing for the Leiden University Mandela Scholarships for South African Students 2021/22.
On March 12, 1999, his Excellency President Nelson Mandela of South Africa received an Honorary Doctorate from Leiden University, the Netherlands. To mark this memorable event, Leiden University founded the Mandela Scholarship Fund.
The Mandela Scholarship is intended for South African students, who want to study at Leiden University for one semester in order to extend their knowledge and contribute to the development of South Africa.
The scholarship includes:
- Tuition fees for a one-semester study abroad programme
- Living allowance: € 1000 per month
- Insurance sponsored by AON Student Insurance and arranged by Leiden University’s Scholarships Team
To qualify for this scholarship, applicants must be;
- enrolled at a South African University.
- permanent residents of South Africa.
- motivated to upgrade or extend their knowledge in order to make a contribution towards the development of South Africa.
- Willing to return to South Africa after their studies.
While candidates’ academic excellence is the primary consideration, the Selection Panels will take into account factors such as research ability and potential, communication and interpersonal skills as well as leadership abilities.
Applications will include the following items
- Up-to-date CV
- Exchange/study abroad admission letter from Leiden University
- Scholarship motivation letter
- Recent transcript of records from South African University
- Photocopy of valid passport(s)
- Two original letters of recommendation (one of which should be from an academic staff member)
- Documentation showing the status of any other grants applied for.
Deadline: October 1, 2021.
For more information, visit the official site.