The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) invites applications from candidates from Sub-Saharan Africa for fully-funded 4-year Ph.D. studentships to start a research degree program on 3 January 2022.
LSHTM has established eight research projects in Sub-Saharan Africa that explore the ties between hygiene and health in one or more of the following areas:
- The role of hygiene in the prevention and transmission of infectious diseases and their consequences
- Hygiene behaviors and hygiene behavior change
- The intersection of hygiene and broader social and economic impacts
Candidates applying for a Ph.D. studentship under this scheme should choose one of the eight projects below that best suits their interests, expertise, and experience, and then expand on it in their submission.
There are a variety of projects to choose from:
- Exploring how a social business model can promote good menstrual health and improve the lives of women socially and economically
- Hygiene Interventions in Kampala’s Informal Settlements: global health imaginaries and local health realities
- Assessing educational outcomes in a school-based menstrual health and hygiene intervention trial in Uganda
- An economic evaluation of adding hand hygiene and point-of-use chlorination interventions to existing treatment for severe acute malnutrition in Senegal etc.
Duration: 4 years
- Tuition fees
- Up to GBP20,000 for research costs, travel, and/or training
- An annual tax-free stipend equal to the UKRI stipend.
- Applicants must be nationals of a country in Sub-Saharan Africa and meet the minimum LSHTM entry requirements.
- Applicants must have a postgraduate degree in health economics, development economics, or another economics discipline, OR an undergraduate degree in economics with a postgraduate degree in public health or similar
- Advanced methods for cost-effectiveness analysis, qualitative research methods, equity analysis.
To apply for this studentship, applicants should submit an application for research degree study via the LSHTM application portal below.
To apply, click here.
Deadline: July 11, 2021.
For more information and application, visit the official site.