The Centre of African Studies invites application for PhD studentships funded by the Mo Ibrahim Foundation.
As part of the Governance for Development in Africa Initiative funded by the Mo Ibrahim Foundation, the Centre of African Studies offers PhD scholarships to African nationals.
This PhD studentships focused on the area of state capacities, governance and bureaucracy for development. This may include;
- Projects designed to understand public sector governance capabilities, Political settlements,
- State business relations, the
- Governance of state-owned enterprises, the
- Governance of development policy design and implementation, etc.
However, applications must focus on the public sector/state/civil service, on governance, and on development.
Only candidates within the following departments are eligible:
- Development Studies
- International Relations/Politics
- CISD (Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy)
- DEFIMS (Department for Financial and Management Studies )
- Distance Learning: CEFIMS(Centre for Financial and Management Studies), DEFIMS
Duration: 3 years
The scholarship covers
- Tuition fee
- An annual bursary of £16, 000
- Visa costs
- HIS and TB (if undertaken), provided receipts are submitted to the Centre of African Studies office.
- Scholarships are awarded to applicants judged to meet sufficiently high academic standards who demonstrate interests in fields relevant to the objectives of the GDAI.
- Applicants must meet the requirements of the graduate program that they wish to pursue
- Applicants must be permanent residents in an African country
- Preference will be given to scholarship candidates living in Sub‐Saharan Africa.
Applicants should provide the following:
- A copy of the unconditional offer received from SOAS admissions office
- CV including their email address
- Maximum of two pages statement, outlining knowledge and interest in governance-related issues
- Research proposal (as sent to the SOAS Admissions Office)
- One academic reference sent directly by the referee to email@example.com
To apply, click here
Deadline: March 31, 2021
For more information visit the official site.