JADS is seeking an enthusiastic colleague for the position of PhD researcher in Artificial Intelligence for power load and renewable energy forecasting in electricity grids, as part of the ILUSTRE project that focuses on use cases in the Caribbean region.
Short-term forecasts of power load and renewable energy supply, are crucial for decarbonizing electricity grids: without these forecasts, high-carbon baseload generators must be kept running. The scientific challenge is to achieve accurate and reliable forecasts, in the face of changeable energy demand patterns and external covariates (weather, public events, etc.).
Deep learning has been shown to perform very well in power-load forecasting and achieves promising results in renewable-energy forecasting. This Ph.D. plan sets out to develop deep learning algorithms that realize forecasts that are both accurate and reliable, with the flexibility to adapt to local conditions. The successful candidates will be contributing to the research conducted in ILLUSTRE by utilizing techniques such as (geometric) deep learning, and nonparametric (Gaussian process) regression.
Starting Date: September 1, 2023
- The minimum gross salary is € 2.541 per month up to a maximum of € 3.247 in the fourth year.
- The selected candidate will start with a contract for one year.
- Vacation allowance of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3% of gross annual income.
The PhD in Artificial Intelligence for Power Load and Renewable Energy Forecasting in Electricity Grids seeks applicants with:
- A master’s degree (or an equivalent university degree) in computer science, artificial intelligence, data science, electrical engineering, or a closely related quantitative subject.
- Provable affinity with the Caribbean region.
- Preparedness to perform a significant part of the research in the Caribbean region.
- A research-oriented attitude.
- Ability to work in a team while also taking a proactive attitude to drive your own research in collaboration with industrial partners and other stakeholders
- Fluent in spoken and written English (C1 level).
- Experience of programming to implement machine learning or statistics is desirable.
The application should include a PhD in Artificial Intelligence for Power Load and Renewable Energy Forecasting in Electricity Grids:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of three references.
- Brief description of your MSc thesis.
Deadline: June 30, 2023.
For more information on PhD in Artificial Intelligence for Power Load and Renewable Energy Forecasting in Electricity Grids, visit the official site.