Applications are invited for a fully financed 4yr Ph.D. position at the University of Twente (UT) in the Netherlands within the Faculty of Science and Technology in the Jonkheijm Laboratory of Biointerface Chemistry.
Biological pacemakers, generated in vivo or ex vivo, are being explored as alternatives to electronic pacemakers because of common device-related complications. Making biological pacemakers requires exquisite knowledge of the cellular composition of the cardiac pacemaker and the regulatory network driving pacemaker cell differentiation and function.
UT aims to create a 3D in vitro microenvironment for essential functioning of the sinoatrial node, the pacemaker tissue situated at the blood-entrance of the right atrium. They will study cell-material interactions under microfluidic control and use microfabrication techniques to prepare 3D arrangements of biomaterials with varying spacings, biofunctionalization, materials properties, and dynamic responsivity.
- The gross monthly salary starts with € 2.395,- in the first year and increases to € 3.061,- in the fourth year of employment;
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- A solid pension scheme;
- Minimum of 29 holidays in case of full-time employment;
- Professional and personal development programs.
- The University is seeking a colleague with a background in biochemical or biomedical or biomaterial engineering.
- Candidates with experiences in 3D-printing, microscopy, hydrogel preparation are welcome to apply as core activities may involve the design and fabrication of microfluidic devices and hydrogel systems.
- Communicative skills are preferred as this is a collaborative project with other institutions.
Interested applicants should attach the following documents in their application
- a detailed CV,
- motivation letter describing why they apply for this position,
- a description of their research interests (no more than 1 A4),
- academic transcripts from their Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees (with marks and courses) and
- a copy of their passport.
Application Deadline: February 28, 2021
For more information and application, click here.