The Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Pharmacoepidemiology & Clinical The Science & Tech Entrepreneurship Group at the Department of Physics & Astronomy, VU Amsterdam, is looking for a PhD candidate that is passionate about entrepreneurship, science & technological innovation and governance.
Governance arrangements are crucial in facilitating science and tech academic entrepreneurship. The aim of this project is to develop research on organisational principles to gear multi-level governance optimally towards stimulating academic science and tech entrepreneurial intent. And hence, contribute to increasing the impact of science.
The emphasis is on entrepreneurial initiatives of scientists to contribute to sustainable innovation, e.g. related to new energy technologies, or innovative water management practices. Examples include the development of new materials for more efficient Solar PV cells, or the application of AI for measuring and monitoring water quality.
The ideal candidate combines a strong background in technological innovation management, organizational sciences, public administration, policy sciences and/or science and technology studies with a demonstrable interest in fundamental science and innovation.
During this project the successful candidate will:
- gain knowledge of the field through literature research, discussion with team members, and internal research meetings
- plan, organize, and conduct data-collection, analyse and interpret results
- collaborate hands-on with participants and other researchers
- publish scientific articles;
- present results at local, national and international scientific meetings and conferences
- contribute to teaching activities within the Science, Business & Innovation programs (max 10%).
Duration: 01 year with the possibility to extend to a total maximum of 4 years.
Starting Date: As soon as possible
The Tech Entrepreneurship position offer:
A monthly salary of €2,541 (PhD) during the first year and increases to €3,247 (PhD) during the fourth year
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- contribution to commuting expenses
- discounts on collective insurances (healthcare- and car insurance)
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
The eligibility requirements for the Tech Entrepreneurship position are:
- A master’s degree in technological innovation management, science & technology studies, public administration or policy sciences combined with a strong & demonstrated interest in (fundamental) science and governance of science.
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent writing skills, proven by an exemplary piece of text
- A creative, flexible, pragmatic & pioneering attitude
- Excellent proficiency in the English language.
Interested applicants should submit:
- a cover letter (one-page maximum),
- a curriculum vitae,
- an exemplary written piece of text in English, and
- the contact details of two academic references.
To apply for the PhD – Position: “Governance Arrangements for Science and Tech Entrepreneurship”, click here.
Deadline: August 15, 2023.
For more information on PhD – Position: “Governance Arrangements for Science and Tech Entrepreneurship”, visit the official site.