Applications are welcome for a PhD Position in “Water Footprint Assessment and Water Allocation Modelling” at the University of Twente.
This is one of two PhD positions that are part of an international and multidisciplinary research project funded by the European Commission’s Horizon Europe programme entitled “Water Efficient Allocation in a Central Asian Transboundary River Basin”.
The overall project goal is to develop and demonstrate a climate-sensitive Decision Support System (DSS) for water allocation in two sub-catchments of a transboundary glacier-fed river basin in Central Asia. Based on an innovative, data-driven water information system rooted in a deep understanding of local water availability, users’ water needs, water footprints, and allocation principles and policies, the project will enable local water managers and stakeholders to increase shared benefits for communities, the economy, and the environment, while fostering the adaptation of water resources management and planning to climate change.
Duration: 4 years
- A gross salary between € 2,541 per month during the first year increasing to € 3,247 per month in the last year;
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and 8.3% end-of-year;
- Solid pension scheme and an optional model for designing a personalized benefits packages;
- A maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment.
They are looking for an enthusiastic, professional, and ambitious colleague, with the following profile:
- A Master’s degree in an Environmental Sciences, (Data) Engineering, or Natural Sciences discipline;
- A strong background in water footprint assessment, water management, earth observation, or other relevant fields;
- Skilled in hydrological or crop water modelling, (big) data management, Python and/or GIS, or are confident that you can learn these skills quickly;
- Have strong analytical skills;
- Exhibit high levels of self-motivation while also being a team player;
- Enjoy working in a multidisciplinary research setting with an international research team to achieve both scientific excellence and policy relevance;
- Are interested in short research stays in Central Asia
- Excellent command of the English language and strong (professional) communication skills.
Interested applicants can apply by uploading in one integrated file:
- a motivation letter (1 page),
- Curriculum Vitae (max 3 pages),
- relevant certificates and references
To apply, click here.
Application Deadline: October 15, 2022.
For more information, visit the official site.