Twente University is offering two challenging PhD positions on steam drying in the paper industry and model-based decision-making in the process systems engineering laboratory.
Steam Dry is a Horizon 2020 project with 17 industrial and academic partners throughout Europe. The goal of Steam Dry is to drastically reduce energy use (40%) and obtain a CO2-emission-free paper and board industry by developing superheated steam drying technology.
The main task for Twente University and Wageningen Research (WR) is to ensure high steam quality (low in fibers and air) throughout the process through prevention and purification using appropriate technologies.
To achieve this task, a model-based approach will be followed, supported by experimentation. From these models, digital twins are constructed to develop an advanced control system.
The successful applicants will:
- Be embedded in the Process Systems Engineering Laboratory at the Faculty of Science and Technology of the University of Twente. This will give them access to state-of-the-art facilities and scientific knowledge.
- Interact with direct colleagues in the group and with scientists at WR on a scientific level. This requires that you frequently visit Wageningen.
- Interact with EU-project partners and will participate in project related events throughout Europe.
Duration: A full-time position for four years, with a qualifier in the first year, and the flexibility to work (partially) from home.
- The candidate will receive a gross monthly salary ranging from €2.770 (first year) to €3.539 (fourth year).
- There are excellent benefits, including a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%, and
- A solid pension scheme
- Free access to sports facilities on campus
- A family-friendly institution that offers parental leave (both paid and unpaid).
The faculty is seeking an outstanding, imaginative, and exceptionally motivated candidate who:
- Have a strong affinity for mathematical modeling and programming and related process systems engineering tools.
- Will be able to design and use experimental setups (under the appropriate guidance).
- Has a master’s degree in chemical engineering.
- Are a team player and enjoy interdisciplinary work.
- Have good communication skills, and you are driven by scientific curiosity.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
Interested applicants are welcome to submit their applications along with the following required documents:
- A cover letter emphasizing their specific interest, qualifications, and motivations to apply for this position
- A Curriculum Vitae, including a list of all courses attended and grades obtained,
- A list of publications and references
- An IELTS-test, Internet TOEFL test (TOEFL-iBT), or a Cambridge CAE-C (CPE)
- Applicants with a non-Dutch qualification and who have not had secondary or tertiary education in English can only be admitted with an IELTS-test showing a total band score of at least 6.5.
To apply for the PhD Positions on Steam Drying in the Paper Industry—Model-Based Decision-Making, click here.
Deadline: November 30, 2023.
For more information on PhD Positions on Steam Drying in the Paper Industry—Model-Based Decision-Making, visit the official site.