Applications are welcome for a PhD Project: How Firms in Contested Industries Pursue Purpose-driven Renewal at the Faculty of Economics and Business, University of Amsterdam.
Corporations are increasingly being challenged to reflect on their purpose. Indeed, the relentless pursuit of profit as the raison d’être for corporations has had detrimental implications for our planet, society, and even shareholders – calling corporations to identify with a purpose that enables sustainable development. Accordingly, an ever-louder chorus of industry leaders have been questioning the shareholder-centric approach to business conduct.
Therefore, this PhD project seeks to perform an in-depth, longitudinal study of how firms in contested industries engage in purpose-driven strategic renewal. The objective of this project is to identify and theorize about the challenges, practices, and consequences of implementing such renewal.
The successful candidate:
- Pursue and complete a PhD thesis within the appointed duration of four years, during which you will follow PhD level coursework, plan and conduct your PhD research;
- actively collaborate with the researchers from Amsterdam Business School;
- present research findings at international conferences;
- submit your work to prestigious management science journals;
- assist in teaching activities, such as tutorials and MSc thesis supervision.
Duration: 04 years.
- The gross monthly salary will range from €2.541 in the first year to €3.247 in the last year. This is exclusive 8% holiday allowance and 8,3% end-of-year bonus.
- A role in which candidate initiative and input are strongly valued;
- an expert supervisory team with experience in supervising PhD students and publishing in top-tier journals;
- an enthusiastic, welcoming, and supportive department;
- a vibrant, international work environment in the center of Amsterdam.
The PhD Project: How Firms in Contested Industries Pursue Purpose-driven Renewal seek applicants with:
- Masters’ degree (preferably a Research Master´s) in Business Administration, Business Economics or a related field (also candidates with a degree in other relevant disciplines are encouraged to apply);
- Excellent speaking and writing ability in English, ideally with some experience in academic writing;
- Willingness and motivation to independently formulate research projects and carry them through to completion;
- Familiarity with qualitative research methods or a willingness to develop these skills;
- Willingness to travel abroad for data collection, conferences, and extended visits to other universities;
- Strong motivation to pursue an international career as a leading scholar;
- Strong commitment to methodological rigor and scientific integrity;
- Intellectual curiosity, eagerness to learn, and openness to feedback.
Applications in one pdf should include:
- a curriculum vitae;
- a letter of motivation including a description of their research experience and interests and how these relate to this project.
To apply for the How Firms in Contested Industries Pursue Purpose-driven Renewal, click here.
Deadline: June 15, 2023.
For more information on How Firms in Contested Industries Pursue Purpose-driven Renewal, visit the official site.