Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is looking for PhD candidates who have an outstanding education that is roughly equivalent to an MSc in Computer Science for a PhD Project in AI for Data Streams.
The goal of this PhD project is to develop an advanced AI that can perform data analytics over large volumes of data streams that can be found either on the Web (news, stocks market data, etc.) or in other contexts such as video surveillance, autonomous driving, or other sensor data from industry. Such an AI can be used for many different purposes such as detecting suspicious activities from videos, malfunctioning of vehicles, or misinformation campaigns over social media.
Given the importance of the use cases mentioned above, this project aims to develop an AI that is not only capable of working with large amounts of data, but that is also fully explainable. To this end, this project intends to exploit the most recent advances in Knowledge Representation and Machine Learning, specifically the ones in the domain of stream reasoning, to develop a new logic-based approach that is explainable by design and that can be integrated with the latest machine-learning frameworks (e.g., language models). The envisioned AI will not only be able to answer complex questions in a timely manner, but also capable of producing convincing explanations, suggesting, for instance, missing pieces of information that could help in understanding a particular problem.
The PhD position is focused on performing research toward obtaining a PhD degree and contains the following duties:
- performing research in the field of machine learning and publishing in top ML conferences
- contributing to teaching and possibly supervising Bachelor and Master students (20% of the time)
The salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel and amounts €2,541 (PhD) per month during the first year and increases to €3,247 (PhD) per month during the fourth year.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
The PhD Project in AI for Data Streams seeks:
- PhD candidates who have an outstanding education that is roughly equivalent to an MSc in Computer Science, AI, or other related topics with a proven interest in any of the above areas.
- They accept applications from students who do not have yet completed their master’s thesis but plan to do so within a few months.
Interested applicants for the PhD Project in AI for Data Streams should submit:
- A letter of motivation; and
- Curriculum vitae.
To apply for the PhD Project in AI for Data Streams – Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, click here.
Deadline: July 10, 2023.
For more information on PhD Project in AI for Data Streams – Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, visit the official site.