The Catalytic Processes and Materials (CPM) group is part of the Faculty of Science and Technology, TNW, at the University of Twente inviting applications for the Postdoc Position in Modelling of an Integrated Co2 Methanation and Steam Electrolysis Cell.
Power-to-methane (PtM) is a highly attractive prospect as it allows the storage and distribution of intermittent renewable energy via existing gas grid infrastructure with the added benefit of CO2 utilisation. Conventional PtM concepts involve the integration of a water/steam electrolysis unit for H2 production with a CO2 methanation unit. However, proton-conducting ceramic electrolyser offers the unique opportunity to combine both processes into a single unit as shown in the figure below and thereby decreasing plant complexity and improving overall process efficiency.
In this project, a successful candidate will investigate the feasibility of such an integrated concept. The principal task will be the development of a high-fidelity thermo-electrochemical model of the integrated cell capturing the various transport phenomena and electrochemical and thermochemical heterogeneous reactions.
The goal will be to provide guidelines for cell design parameters (e.g. electrode and electrolyte thicknesses, electrode porosity, ceramic volume fractions, catalyst loading) and operating conditions (e.g. applied current, temperature, inlet gas flow rates) that lead to acceptable thermal gradients across the cell and optimal CO2 conversion and CH4 selectivity.
Duration: 12 months
The Postdoc Position in Modelling Of an Integrated Co2 Methanation and Steam Electrolysis Cell offers
- The salary amounts, depending on education and experience, minimum of € 3.557,- to a maximum of € 4.670,- gross per month in case of full-time employment.
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%.
- The number of holiday hours for full-time employment is 232 hours per calendar year.
- Professional and personal development programmes.
Applicants should meet the following criteria:
- Hold a PhD in a field that is related to this project.
- Have a track record in thermo-electrochemical modelling of high-temperature proton-conducting ceramic cells or solid oxide cells.
- Are familiar with fully implicit and/or implicit-explicit methods to solve variable mass-matrix ordinary differential equation (ODE) systems and/or differential-algebraic equation (DAE) systems.
- Have experience coding in C/Python/Julia.
Interested applicants are welcome to apply, however, all applications should include
- A Cover Letter and
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) that illustrates why they fit the position by specifically addressing the points under the “Job requirements” section above.
- Also, the CV should also include the name and e-mail address of at least two references.
To apply for a Postdoc Position in Modelling Of an Integrated Co2 Methanation and Steam Electrolysis Cell, click here.
Application Deadline: October 07, 2022.
For more information, visit the official site.