The department of philosophy of the University of Twente is looking for a Postdoctoral researcher to investigate how theories of technology and its relation to society can inform and transform ethics.
The aim of this postdoc project is to investigate how theories and approaches that concern the interactive relationship between technology and society and technology and human beings, as found in philosophy and STS in particular, can inform ethics, specifically the ethics of technology. There will be a particular focus on socially disruptive technologies: technologies that transform everyday life, social institutions, cultural practices, and potentially even fundamental beliefs and values.
Duration: 2 years
The successful candidate will carry out at least three of the following investigations:
- Critical assessment and comparison of the most promising theories and approaches in philosophy and STS on the interaction between technology and society (at micro, meso, and/or macrolevels)
- Critical assessment of theories of the relation between technological artifacts and impacts, and between artifacts and values
- Analysis of the role of social structures, artifacts, and other nonhuman entities in major theories and approaches to normative ethics
- Investigation of implicit conceptions of the role and status of technology in different approaches in the ethics of technology (e.g., deterministic, neutral, or other)
The Postdoc Position in Theories of Technology and Ethics offers
- The gross salary is € 3.557,- to € 5.439,- per month, depending on experience.
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- A budget for traveling to TechEthos workshops and to international conferences.
- Also, the University of Twente offers excellent auxiliary terms of employment, such as professional and personal development programs;
- a secondary remuneration package;
- a dynamic environment with enthusiastic colleagues; and
- an organization focusing on internationalization and a high degree of responsibility and independence.
Applicants should have the following qualifications:
- hold a Ph.D. in philosophy, science and technology studies (STS), or a related field;
- have experience in research, which is apparent from publications in highly ranked academic journals, presentations at international scientific conferences, and other academic activities;
- possess expertise relevant to the project
- possess good communication skills and an excellent command of English, at least at the C2 level.
Interested applicants can apply and ensure that they include the following documents:
- a cover letter that explains their interest in the position and their qualifications for it;
- a curriculum vitae which includes the name and e-mail address/telephone number for at least two references.
- a writing sample (preferably a published article related to the position);
- either a summary and table of contents of their dissertation or the entire dissertation.
To apply for the Postdoc Position in Theories of Technology and Ethics, click here.
Application Deadline: September 22, 2022.
For more information, visit the official site.