The Department of Population Health Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine invites applications for a Postdoc position for the highly relevant interdisciplinary research project ‘Towards a data-driven dashboard to support a socially-just transition to circular agriculture’.
Current practices of producing and consuming food result in major environmental problems, and reorienting agriculture towards a sustainable future is a major societal challenge. Circular agriculture has been put forward as a promising vision on how to produce sufficient, affordable, and safe food while mitigating sustainability problems.
The transition towards circular agriculture depends on the support of farmers, consumers/ citizens, and societal stakeholders. Currently, stakeholders’ understanding of circular agriculture, possible costs and benefits, and necessary changes in farming, consumption, and conservation practices are limited. More transparency on the implications for production, production environment (biodiversity), and animal welfare is needed. Therefore, the overall objective of this CUCo project is to involve farmers, consumers, citizens, and other stakeholders in the transition towards circular agriculture by collecting, combining, and giving meaningful access to farm data.
- The gross salary – depending on previous qualifications and experience ranges between €2,790 and €5,127.
- Salaries are supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3% per year.
- In addition, Utrecht University offers excellent secondary conditions, including
- (partly paid) parental leave and,
- flexible employment conditions,
- an attractive retirement scheme.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications.
- a Ph.D. and research experience in the agricultural and/or food domain (e.g., animal sciences, plant sciences, agricultural economics, sociology, governance).
- experience in qualitative and quantitative research methodologies.
- an interest and understanding of sustainability challenges facing the Dutch food system.
- excellent communication skills, and like to make new contacts.
- can work on their own, but also enjoy interacting with an interdisciplinary team.
- excellent English writing skills and will use these to write a research proposal.
Applications should include a curriculum vitae and a letter of motivation.
Application Deadline: March 15, 2021.
For more information and application, visit the official site.