The Ethics Institute of Utrecht University’s Department for Philosophy and Religious Studies seeks a researcher for a Postdoc project on ‘Resisting Gender-based Domination’.
The Postdoc will work on two subprojects of this research programme. The first one focuses on activists and writers engaged in resistance against gender-based domination and seeks to analyze the interplay between theorizing (un)freedom and reproducing or resisting social domination.
The second subproject, on which the Post-Doc will work jointly with the project leader aims to develop a methodological framework for theorizing from below. The idea of theorizing from below is guided by the assumption that it matters from which perspective normative concepts like freedom are theorized.
The position encompasses the regular tasks of a full professor in teaching, research, and being involved in management. The tasks include but are not limited to:
- contributing to the Bachelor program in Economics and Business Economics, and the master program in Economics, including lecturing, course and program development, and the supervision of bachelor and master theses.
- supervising PhD students, mentoring junior staff members
- acquiring external funding from NWO, ERC, and other sources
- contributing to the research program of the Department of Economics, Econometrics and Finance, and in particular to macroeconomic research within the program
- playing a prominent role in stimulating research collaborations with researchers in adjacent fields
- participating in the public macroeconomic debate on the national and/or international level.
Duration: 02 years
Starting Date: September 1, 2023
- The gross salary – depending on previous qualifications and experience – ranges between €3703 and €3839 per month.
- Salaries are supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3% per year.
- Utrecht University offers excellent secondary conditions, including an attractive retirement scheme, (partly paid) parental leave and flexible employment conditions (multiple choice model)
The eligibility requirements for the Postdoc Research project on ‘Resisting Gender-based Domination’ include:
- Applicants must have completed, prior to appointment, a PhD in Philosophy, Political Theory, or Politics with a specialization in Political Theory.
- Are specialized in political and social philosophy, and/or political theory.
- Have a strong interest and some prior expertise in one or several of the following fields: feminism, including feminist epistemology; republicanism; theories of slavery and domination; theories of freedom and resistance.
- Have a strong interest in methodological and epistemological questions regarding ‘theorizing from below’.
- Demonstrated during their PhD the capacity for independent research and excellent academic philosophical writing.
- Ability to and enjoy working independently as well as as part of a team.
- A high level of proficiency in English. Being able to read sources in languages such as French, Portuguese, Spanish, Dutch or German is welcome.
All application should include the following documents:
- a motivation letter outlining the interest in the position and any relevant prior experiences (max. 2 pages);
- a two-page research plan, outlining first ideas on how they would approach the Post-Doc projects (references may be put on a separate page);
- a curriculum vitae, including the names and contact details of two references whom the department may contact;
- academic grade transcripts from all relevant degree programmes;
- a writing sample, in English, that (to the extent possible) provides evidence of their academic writing in political philosophy/political theory.
To apply for the Postdoc Research project on ‘Resisting Gender-based Domination’, click here.
Deadline: May 15, 2023.
For more information on the Postdoc Research project on ‘Resisting Gender-based Domination’, visit the official site.