Applications are open at Wageningen University & Research for a Postdoc Researcher on Ambivalence and Ambiguity in Animal-free Milk.
Climate change, food scarcity, nitrogen emissions, animal welfare, and consumers all demand reduction in dairy use. Creating milk alternatives that make good cheese is however extremely difficult and requires high-tech interventions in natural processes. This results in many ambiguities and ambivalence on the uptake of such alternatives with stakeholders like consumers, but also dairy farmers.
The main task of the candidate will be to strengthen and develop scholarship on ambivalence and ambiguity in processes of moral change, theoretically and methodologically. However, the school will provide the candidate with substantial time and support to develop a research line on ethical and social aspects of ambiguity and ambivalence around precision fermentation with the transformation of the dairy sector as an exemplar of how new technologies are transforming food production.
Duration: 3.5 years
As a Postdoc Researcher on Ambivalence and Ambiguity in Animal-free Milk, the candidate will work
- Carry out focus groups with farmers and consumers to study responses to animal-free dairy, with special attention to ambivalence and ambiguity.
- Devise future scenarios for farmer’s inclusion in animal-free dairy production
- Work closely with other disciplines: consumer science, and protein engineering
- Explore and develop the potential of taking ambivalence and ambiguity as a starting point for finding constructive ways of dealing with tensions concerning animal-free dairy – and new technology more generally
- Carry out project-wide administrative tasks
- a competitive gross salary of between € 2.960,- and € 4.670 depending on experience;
- working hours that can be discussed and arranged so that they allow for the best possible work-life balance;
- the option to accrue additional compensation/holiday hours by working more, up to 40 hours per week;
- a fixed December bonus of 8.3%;
- excellent pension scheme.
The Postdoc position on Ambivalence and Ambiguity in Animal-free Milk seeks a candidate with the following key qualifications:
- PhD degree in humanities or social sciences;
- Strong social empirical research experience with experience in qualitative research and engaging with various stakeholders;
- Affinity with, or strong interest in ethics of technology;
- Affinity with working in a multidisciplinary group in an international context;
- Interest or experience in project management;
- Strong English language skills (evident from his/her thesis and/or publications);
- Dutch fluency is an asset but not required.
Qualified applicants for Postdoc Researcher on Ambivalence and Ambiguity in Animal-free Milk are requested to send;
- a CV with full
- a letter of motivation
To apply, click here
Application Deadline: August 14, 2022.
For more information, visit the official site.