Amsterdam School For Cultural Analysis currently has a vacant Postdoc researcher position in Social Media Data Research as part of the University Research Priority Area on Trust in the Digital Society.
The Media Studies Department and School of Economics at the University of Amsterdam are looking for a jointly appointed postdoctoral researcher as part of the University Research Priority Area on Trust in the Digital Society (TRUST RPA), a five-year interdisciplinary research initiative concerned with trust production technologies and the disruption of existing trust relations. This position focuses on the latter, by tracing narratives of (dis)trust in social media datasets and by studying the underlying behaviors in human subjects.
This project aims to understand the dynamics by which these narratives of (dis)trust are propagated through social media and to investigate the underlying drivers that might make individuals susceptible to them. Accomplishing this necessitates a mixed-methods approach that entails a collaboration between the humanities and the social sciences:
- the Digital Methods Initiative (DMI) and
- the Center for Research in Experimental Economics and political Decision Making (CREED). Through this collaboration the project aims to bridge the gaps between different methodological perspectives.
- collect and analyze social media data on (dis)trust narratives using a combination of quantitative and qualitative methods including social network analysis and natural language processing.
- be open to working with multiple methods across disciplines between the humanities and the social sciences.
- work with interview- and questionnaire-based methods developed in collaboration with the Behavioral Economics and Psychology department
- actively pursue external funding for research, notably funding from research councils, national as well as European;
- actively contribute to and develop national and international research networks
Duration: 05 years
- The gross monthly salary, based on 38 hours per week and relevant experience, ranges between € 3703 to € 5439.
- 8% holiday allowance and the 8,3% year-end allowance.
Besides the salary and a vibrant and challenging environment, we offer you multiple fringe benefits:
- 232 holiday hours per year (based on full-time) and extra holidays between Christmas and 1 January;
- 7 weeks birth leave (partner leave) with 100% salary;
- Partly paid parental leave;
- A pension at ABP for which UvA pays two third part of the contribution;
- Multiple courses on topics such as leadership for academic staff;
- The possibility to follow courses to learn Dutch;
- Multiple courses to follow from our Teaching and Learning Centre;
- Multiple courses on topics such as time management, handling stress and an online learning platform with 100+ different courses.
- a PhD degree in media studies, digital sociology, digital humanities, science and technology studies, or an equivalent discipline
- excellent research skills demonstrated by a track record of publishing in high-ranking journals (such as, for example, Big Data & Society) and/or with leading presses or a demonstrable capacity to develop such a record;
- a strong cooperative attitude and willingness to engage in collaborative research;
- enthusiasm for communicating academic research to non-academic audiences;
- excellent command of English
Applications should include the following information (submitted in one .pdf):
- A letter of motivation stating candidates’ reasons for applying, and detailing why they are an excellent candidate for the position (no more than 1,000 words).;
- A full academic CV, including a list of publications and an indication of language proficiencies.
- An academic writing sample in English (e.g., published book, journal article, a section of a PhD dissertation), totaling no more than 10,000 words.
- The names and contact details of two references who may be approached by the selection committee.
- If invited for an interview, a draft research plan (2 pages maximum) on the call’s topic, including possible research questions, relevant literature, and methods.
To apply for Postdoctoral Position in Social Media Data Research, click here.
Deadline: June 15, 2023.
For more information on the Postdoctoral Position in Social Media Data Research, visit the official site.