Application is currently ongoing for a Postdoctoral Research position on Engineered Ice-Binders at Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e).
Ice-binding proteins (IBPs) protect against freeze damage in polar regions by keeping the nucleation and growth of ice crystals in check. How this works exactly is not yet known. This is because we currently lack designer ice-binders to unravel and utilize the structure-function relations underlying activity. In this project, you will combine computational tools for protein engineering (de novo protein design, folding) with biochemical and structural biology techniques (protein expression, structure elucidation, activity assays) to bridge this knowledge gap. You will engineer IBPs de novo.
Duration: 2 years
- A gross monthly salary and benefits in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- 30% ruling option: a tax-free allowance equivalent to 30% of the gross salary of foreign applicants moving to the Netherlands
- Additionally, 8% holiday and 8.3% end-of-year annual supplements.
- A minimum of 41 holidays per year (excluding bank holidays, for full-time employment of 40 hrs/week)
- Additional benefits include excellent technical infrastructure, childcare, holiday savings schemes, and sports facilities.
- Assistance for finding accommodation is offered.
- A personal development program aimed to develop your social and communication skills
- PhD in Biophysics, Biochemistry, or related area.
- Strong qualifications or experience with de novo protein design, protein structure prediction (Rosetta, AlphaFold, …), deep learning, structure elucidation, protein expression, C/C++, python.
- Affinity for biophysics and/or soft matter science.
- Experience with microscopy (fluorescence/cryo-TEM/optical) and microfluidics; knowledge of crystallization is preferred.
- Ability to conduct high-quality academic research, demonstrated by an outstanding PhD thesis and publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Strong motivation to do excellent, original, fundamental research.
- Excellent mastering of the English language, good communication, and leadership skills. Note that there is no Dutch language requirement.
- Independent and goal-oriented scientist. Team player and able to work in a dynamic, interdisciplinary, and international context.
The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which candidate describe their motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of their publications and the contact information of three references.
- A letter of recommendation from one or more of their references.
- List of five self-selected ‘best publications’.
To apply, click here.
Application Deadline: May 01, 2022
For more information on Postdoctoral Research on Engineered Ice-Binders, visit the official site.