The Faculty of Humanities, Leiden University Centre for Linguistics (LUCL) is looking for a postdoctoral researcher in the digital humanities for the ERC Consolidator Grant project “QurCan — The Canonization of the Quranic Reading Traditions”.
The canonization of the Quranic reading traditions ( qirāʾāt) goes back to the 10th c. scholar ibn Mujahid who established the canon. Up until recently, it was thought that his work functioned as our historical horizon— everything about the pre-canonical situation is filtered through choices and thinking. However, there are hundreds of Quranic manuscripts from the time preceding the canonization stretching back at least to the beginning of the 8th c. that make use of diacritics to instruct the reader. These pre-canonical reading traditions provide a vista into the pre-history of Quranic recitation, yet they have so far gone almost entirely unstudied. The ERC Consolidator grant project QurCan aims to mine these rich historical sources to understand what Quran recitation was like before ibn Mujahid, how the reading traditions developed, and how this led to the crystallized canon known today.
Duration: 3 Years
- The starting salary range is € 3,974 to € 4.123.- gross per month commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holidays (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %).
- Training and career development, and
- Sabbatical leave.
Applicants are to possess the following qualifications:
- PhD in a relevant field (e.g., digital humanities, statistics, Islamic studies).
- Demonstrable experience and experience in digital humanities as applied in philological disciplines.
- Experience with designing (Open Source) software packages
- Excellent programming skills, with experience in Python, R, or other relevant programming languages.
- A good command of English and Classical Arabic.
Interested applicants are welcome to send the following documents alongside their applications:
- Curriculum Vitae and a list of publications.
- A cover letter explaining their motivation, background, and qualifications for the position.
To apply, click here
Deadline: February 07, 2023.
For more information on Postdoctoral Researcher in the Digital Humanities, official site.