The above-stated position (Postdoctoral Researcher Project CHINAWHITE) is open for postdoctoral researchers at the University of Amsterdam.
The Department of Anthropology at the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences is seeking a postdoctoral researcher for the CHINAWHITE project, which is funded by the European Research Council and led by Dr. Shanshan Lan. As a postdoctoral researcher, the candidate will be part of the Amsterdam Institute for Social Science Research (AISSR) program group Moving Matters.
In this position on Project CHINAWHITE, the candidate will:
- participate in and help organize project-related workshops, book clubs, conferences, and other academic activities;
- possibly be on short-term fieldwork in China or other countries in the Global South, depending on funding and international travel policies in the field site;
- engage in critical dialogues with fellow team members and contribute to theoretical innovations and data analysis of the larger project;
- publish independently and/or in collaboration with team members.
- present research papers at international workshops and conferences;
- contribute to popular dissemination of the research results, and undertake administrative tasks related to the project;
- be based in the Netherlands and take an active part in the research environment at the Amsterdam Institute for Social Science Research.
Duration: 1 year
The Postdoctoral Researcher position on Project CHINAWHITE offers:
- Salary depends on past education and relevant work experience, with a minimum salary of €3974 and a maximum salary of €5439 gross per month
- offer an extensive package of secondary benefits, including an 8% holiday allowance and a year-end bonus of 8.3%.
- a PhD degree in anthropology, sociology, media, and gender studies, or other relevant disciplines in the humanities or social sciences, completed after May 2019 or with a fixed completion date before 1 September 2023;
- excellent proficiency in spoken and written English; fluency in Mandarin Chinese is a plus, but not a requirement;
- demonstrated qualitative research experiences in the global South, such as Asia, Africa, and Latin America, preferably on issues of race, racism, migration, immigration policy, gender, transnational intimacy, and whiteness studies;
- outstanding research qualities manifested in a high-quality PhD dissertation and international peer-reviewed publications;
- familiarity or keen interest in ethnographic research methods and approaches;
- ability and willingness to work in a team;
- willingness to travel abroad for research stays, conferences, and project-related workshops;
- strong organizational skills.
Interested applicants Postdoctoral Researcher Project CHINAWHITE are to send the following documents alongside their applications:
- a full academic CV, including a list of publications
- a detailed letter stating the motivation for this position and how they can contribute to the CHINAWHITE project;
- a writing sample that can best reflect the excellence of their scholarship ( no more than 10,000 words);
- contact information for two academic references (no letters of recommendation);
- in case the PhD is not completed yet, evidence of a fixed completion date before 1 September 2023.
Deadline: January 31, 2023.
For more information on CHINAWHITE, visit the official site.