A small number of full-time scholarships for Masters (complete thesis) and PhD students are now available, thanks to a collaboration between the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation and Stellenbosch University’s Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences.
The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation “Turning the Tide” Masters Scholarships consist of the fields that make up the Faculty, but they are only open to research projects that fit one of the following themes:
- African Cultural Studies
- The Anthropocene and/or Ecocriticism
- Identity, Gender and/or Queer Studies
The Stellenbosch University Masters and PhD Scholarships covers:
- MA scholarships: R170 000, over 18 months to two years.
- PhD scholarships: Up to R420 000, over three years.
In addition, scholars may apply for the following categories of support together with their supervisors:
- Writing retreat – R 2 205
- Local conference attendance – R 8 269
- Publication costs – R 10 920
For the Stellenbosch University Masters and PhD Scholarships;
- Applicants should have obtained a first-class distinction (75%+), in the final year of their Honours degree.
- Applicants are expected to provide a sample of their writing with their application:
- Honours research essay for MA applicants
- MA thesis for PhD applicants
- Any published academic articles related to their application
- At the date of application, applicants must not be older than 30 to apply for a Masters scholarship.
- Applicants have to be able to commence studies in February 2024.
- An existing record of publications;
- Awards or grants received;
- Relevant professional or artistic experience.
- Application to Stellenbosch University;
- A motivation letter (not longer than 600 words);
- Official scholarship application form;
- A pre-proposal (or research idea) of no more than 500 words;
- A certified copy of full academic transcript;
- Certified copy of MA degree certificate or foreign equivalent;
- A certified copy of Honours or foreign equivalent;
- A certified copy of South African ID or passport (for international students).
To apply for Stellenbosch University Masters and PhD Scholarships for Studies Commencing in 2024, click here
Deadline: August 30, 2023.
For more information on Stellenbosch University Masters and PhD Scholarships for Studies Commencing in 2024, visit the official site.