The Stellenbosch Institute for Advance Study (STIAS) calls for applications for the STIAS Individual Fellowship and Research Programme 2025.
STIAS provides and maintains an independent ‘creative space for the mind’ to advance the cause of science and scholarship across all disciplines. It is global in its reach and local in its African roots, and it values original thinking and innovation in this context. No restriction is placed on the country of origin, discipline, or academic affiliation when STIAS considers a fellowship invitation. It encourages the cross-pollination of ideas and hence gives preference to projects that will tap into, and benefit from, a multi-disciplinary discourse while also contributing unique perspectives to such a discourse. This interaction is fostered by inviting individual fellows or project teams, where each team member is evaluated individually.
The STIAS programme comprises projects that are entirely self-generated and proposed by applicants, as well as projects and programmes initiated and led by STIAS, typically with select partner organizations. STIAS fellows are expected to be residents at STIAS for the duration of a fellowship, with no academic obligations other than pursuing the proposed research project. The only other obligations are to share in the discussion over lunch, which is served daily at the STIAS Wallenberg Research Centre, and to participate in the Tuesday and Thursday STIAS fellows’ seminar, where fellows in turn present their work to other fellows and invited academics from the local community.
Duration: 12 Month
- To facilitate the heterogeneity STIAS strives for, its programme specifically includes artists-in-residence and short-term fellows drawn from the sphere of public commentary and opinion-making.
- Applications in these categories will be considered on their own merit.
- A limited number of applications from young scholars who have completed at least one postdoctoral fellowship (preferably more than one) will also be considered annually.
- Apart from candidates who apply within the framework of an agreement with the Volkswagen Foundation, STIAS does not consider postdoctoral applications.
The following criteria serve as important guidelines:
Along with a covering letter, applications should include a;
- comprehensive Curriculum Vitae.
- list of publications (may be included in the CV).
- One or two recent articles typical of the applicant’s research work, or related to the proposed project.
- project title and description (2-4 pages) of the planned work and expected outcomes.
- brief summary/ introductory text (maximum 200 words) of the proposed project accessible to readers from outside the candidate’s specific discipline.
- clear indication of the length of fellowship being applied for, together with preferred and alternative dates of residence at STIAS.
- brief indication of how the applicant became aware of the STIAS programme.
To apply for STIAS Individual Fellowship and Research Programme 2025, click here
Deadline: October 31, 2023.
For more information on STIAS Individual Fellowship and Research Programme 2025, visit the official site.